St Marks Ramp

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

redfishfun23

St Marks Ramp

Post by redfishfun23 »

Anyone have an update on when the new ramp will be completed and open for use? Thank you! Tight Lines everyone!
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Re: St Marks Ramp

Post by Jumptrout51 »

They are shooting for Easter weekend.
You can quote me if you like.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
redfishfun23

Post by redfishfun23 »

Thank you! If you hear anything different please let us know.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Same thing I heard from the gentleman who answered the phone when I called there last week. Easter weekend would fit into my plans nicely.
FF salute1
Gumbo

Post by Gumbo »

I took a look yesteday and the ramp is complete. It looks great, curbs on both sides and a small divider in the middle. There's also a 1 X 6 in the water that appears to mark the end of the ramp, not sure if that's staying. The only problem I see is they dumped a bunch of large limerock on both sides of the ramp where there used to be grass and mud, will make it hard for anyone launching alone to pull their boat up while parking the vehicle and trailer. And neither parking nor the staging area has been expanded.

I will be glad when the ramp opens. I put in at the Fort yesterday morning and got the last parking spot. Very surprising for a Monday. We need more water access in that area.
Mister Mullet

Post by Mister Mullet »

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Release #4-11
April 14, 2011 Contact: David Moody

Lighthouse Boat Ramp Reopens Sat. April 23

The St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge announced that the newly renovated saltwater boat ramp near the lighthouse will re-open on Saturday, April 23, 2011.
The new ramp offers a divided launch for two vessels at the same time, plus a safety curb at the ramps’ end for runaways. Caution notices will be posted to warn about possible trailer and propeller damage on the safety curb during low tide events.

Due to anticipated high use, please have boat loaded and ready to go when approaching the ramp.

A $5.00 daily entrance fee is required to enter the refuge. Visitors who use the refuge multiple times each year can benefit from the purchase of our $15.00 annual pass.
A handicapped accessible dock is also in the construction phase at the East River Pool. This dock will open later this summer, offering a new area for fishing and wildlife observation.

Please call 850/925-6121 for more information.
Aquamaholic

Post by Aquamaholic »

Anybody use the new ramp yet? What do ya think?

Did they leave the the limestone rocks that Gumbo mentioned? This was my go to ramp for launching by myself, but I might have to find a different method if they lined the sides with rock.

Thanks
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Aquamaholic wrote:Did they leave the the limestone rocks that Gumbo mentioned? This was my go to ramp for launching by myself, but I might have to find a different method if they lined the sides with rock.
Sorry, Aquamaholic. Doesn't look like either side will sand-in anytime soon. :smt009
StMarks Lighthouse RampP20110424.JPG
StMarks Lighthouse RampP20110424.JPG (2.11 MiB) Viewed 2019 times
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Don't you just love spending your tax dollars on idiots designing stuff? While the ramp is nice, evidently the designer has never launched a boat. The dock is waaaayyyy too far away from the launch area. And is is just me, or is the asphalt already sinking down at the edge of the concrete?

Dubble :thumbdown:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

DT,
Only the concrete part of the ramp was replaced. There was no redesigning done. It is still the same after all these years. Apparently there was only money for the concrete repair. No regrading, no dredging of the canal, no moving of the dock or creation of a beaching area for lone boaters.
Yes it is a long walk to launch the boat, tie up, then go retrieve you tow vehicle and park. I still like the ramp and it's proximity to my favorite fishing spots, and the price is right. I for one will keep using it.
I am not real keen on the 6" curb at the end of the ramp though. My skeg bumped it while loading my boat this past weekend. It was not possible to miss it. There was no way to maneuver the trailer and motor the boat to it without the motor touching the curb. Even though there are signs, it might cause some problems for them in the future.
FF
Aquamaholic

Post by Aquamaholic »

Thanks for the info and picture HW. :thumbup:

Yep, FF the ramp is close to were I wanna fish too, and the price is great. Most of the time I launch by myself its on a weekday and there is not much ramp traffic anyway. So tying off to the dock and walking around won't be that big of a deal.
boggob
Site Sponsor

Post by boggob »

fishinfool wrote:DT,
I am not real keen on the 6" curb at the end of the ramp though. My skeg bumped it while loading my boat this past weekend. It was not possible to miss it. There was no way to maneuver the trailer and motor the boat to it without the motor touching the curb. Even though there are signs, it might cause some problems for them in the future.
FF
Watch that curb! It'll bite ya, especially on low tides. I guess its a trade-off: Plus, we get a warning from backing off the end of the ramp; Minus: A busted prop or skeg loading.
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

SIMPLE SOLUTION, JUST BACK TRAILER DOWN TILL TIRES HIT THE CURBING, NO WAY THE KICKER OR SKEG WILL HIT THE CURBING THEN. IF THE TIDE IS OUT SO THE CURB IS SHOWING YOU WOULD NEVER GET OUT OF THE MOUTH OF THE CANAL.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
rfarmer20k9

Post by rfarmer20k9 »

Hi, I'm new to the posting business, but I've launched at the new ramp and really like it, however, I do have a jet motor on my boat so it's not a problem for me.