Trailer Wheel Bearings/ Bearing Grease Seal

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Aquamaholic

Trailer Wheel Bearings/ Bearing Grease Seal

Post by Aquamaholic »

Looking at repacking the hubs on a single axle trailer this weekend and possibly replacing the bearings (if needed). I am having a hard time finding a place that sells the Double Lip grease seals and or bearing kits. I am not sure what size I will need so I was planning on taking the bearings/seals to the parts store to match em up. They are easy to find online I was just trying to buy local/ physically compare parts.

Anyone know somewhere that sells this kind of stuff?

Thanks!!
One Keeper

Re: Trailer Wheel Bearings/ Bearing Grease Seal

Post by One Keeper »

Capitol City Hitch off hwy 90 west has always had all my bearing supplies. 575-8628
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

Take whatever part you want to replace & clean thoroughly. There is a part # stamped on each one (ex. L68149). The numbers are pretty universal so you can call around without having to leave the house. Most auto parts stores will have the bearings you need & can find them by the part #. They just don't know that they have boat axle bearings because they don't have the cross reference for boat trailer models. Bearings are bearings. The number is the key, not what it is used for.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Or call "Leroy" right Demon,everybody has got a Leroy :smt005 :smt005
robbankston
Site Sponsor

Post by robbankston »

Northern Tool if you have one close
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week. -George S. Patton
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

Gulf Coast wrote:Or call "Leroy" right Demon,everybody has got a Leroy :smt005 :smt005
You are right my friend, but I don't share my Leroy!
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Rainman
Site Sponsor

Post by Rainman »

I have give another :thumbup: :thumbup: to Capital Hitch on 90. I've used them on several occasions and they have been great!
Aquamaholic

Post by Aquamaholic »

Thanks for all the replies guys, I will give Capital Hitch a call. I knew they worked on trailers just didnt know if they would want to sell parts to someone doing the work themselves.

The auto route will probably work for bearings but I don't know if they would have the right grease seal for a submersible trailer (double lip w/spring). I will make some calls once I get the part #s

Thanks again!
:thumbup:
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

I HAVE REPLACED MY WHEEL BEARING SEALS WITH THE DOUBLE LIPPED SEAL. I USE 90/120 GEAR OIL NOW IN PLACE OF THE AXLE GREASE, IT HAS BEEN 5 YEARS SINCE I DID THIS AND SO FAR NO LEAKS, I JACK MY TRAILER UP A COUPLE OF TIMES A YEAR AND TURN THE WHEELS AND SO FAR NO NOISE FROM EITHER WHEEL. AS LONG AS I DO NOT HEAR ANY GRINDING NOISE WHEN I JACK THE TRAILER UP AND TURN THE WHEELS I DO NOT ADD OR REMOVE ANY OIL, OIL DOES NOT WEAR OUT, IT CAN GET CONTAMINATED AND THAT IS WHAT RUINS ANY OIL YOU HAVE IN THE BEARINGS OF THE TRAILER OR THE OIL YOU HAVE IN YOUR ENGINE. I USE DOUBLE FILTERS ON THE ENGINES OF MY VEHICLES AND CHANGE OIL ABOUT EVERY 50,000 MILES WHETHER IT NEEDS IT OR NOT.
PA
SEMPER FI
P.S. I USE SYNTHETIC OIL AND HAVE BEEN SINCE 1970 , IT IS CALLED AMSOIL AND IS A GREAT PRODUCT. THAT IS THE ONLY OIL I USED IN 200 OVER THE ROAD TRACTORSS FROM 1970 UP TO THE PRESENT TIME.
PA
FUTCHCAIRO
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

Or, you could try Capital City Trailers on North Monroe Street. Call Will @ 566-6566 or take your parts by to have them matched up. He has trailer parts for sale or he can do the repairs. Your choice.
Aquamaholic

Post by Aquamaholic »

reelbad wrote:Or, you could try Capital City Trailers on North Monroe Street. Call Will @ 566-6566 or take your parts by to have them matched up. He has trailer parts for sale or he can do the repairs. Your choice.
Thanks, I ended up heading there since it was closer to the house and I was in a bit of a hurry to get everything put back together. I got new bearings and the seals I needed. Good guys to deal with.
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

Thanks for trading with Capital City Trailers, My son Will ownes it and I am sure he THANKS you also. He will always try to satisfy his customers.
Greenbone
Site Sponsor

Post by Greenbone »

I also needed double lipped seals for my trailor. Parts houses close by could not match it up, they did have the bearings. rode out to Capital City trailors, Will not only had the seals but beat the parts house price on bearings. So of course I bought an extra set of seals and bearings
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

Thanks for the business guys, Will looks forward to giving the folks on the forum and all who stop by good quality service. Just be sure to tell him that you are a BBF.NET member or NFGFC member. He will do his best to get you going at a resonable price.