SGI Boat Ramps and Fishing

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

GaWhaler

SGI Boat Ramps and Fishing

Post by GaWhaler »

Hey Guys. I am headed to Saint George Island this weekend for a late spring break. We are renting a house on the bay in the plantation down towards the cut and am taking the boat. I have never put in at SGI before and was wondering if any of you could give me some advice on boat ramps. I think there is one on the left just as you get on to the island and I know about the one in the state park, but was wondering if there was a public ramp anywhere towards the west end of the island or in the plantation (preferably paved). I am planning on pulling with a 2WD vehicle but will take my truck with 4WD if it sounds like I will need it.

Also, hoping to get in a good bit of fishing if possible (children permitting). Any suggestions for trout and reds outside of the cut on the west end of the island. Definitely going to fish the cut but would like to explore some other areas as well on that end of the island or Little SGI. I also want to troll for spanish with the kids and could use some advice on spanish on the west end. i know they have been catching them at the east pass and at Dog Island reef but that will be a pretty good run from where we are staying, especially with young kids. I do not want to get too far away with the kids in case the weather turns...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Re: SGI Boat Ramps and Fishing

Post by Scoop Sea »

I don't know about any ramps in the Plantation. The ramp on the left coming on to the Island is a good ramp if the tides are favorable. It gets awfully shallow on your way out, so you have to make sure you have enough water leaving/coming. There is also a ramp on the causeway that drops you into deep water. There is no real parking to speak of, but you can drop your boat there and possiby keep it at your rental (if there is a dock). That ramp is paved. For what it's worth, I would just go ahead and take the 4wd and be safe all the way around.

As for fishing, on the bay side in front of where you are staying is a good area. Down on Lil SGI (bayside) is good all the way down to Indian Pass. Some spots are better than others, but you can figure that out as you explore. I like to hit the lil beach on the bayside right after the cut to drop the family off (if they aren't in a fishing mood) and then work the flats headed west.

I also like fishing the bay behind the State Park. If you don't have an opportunity to launch in the Plantation, I would trailer down to the State Park and put in there. I would then fish those flats all the way down to the east end. As you mentioned, the Spanish have been there and that's always a great time for the kids.

Have fun.
"Be Careful Not To Confuse Motion With Progress."
boggob
Site Sponsor

Post by boggob »

There is supposedly a ramp in The Cut.
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

boggob wrote:There is supposedly a ramp in The Cut.
There is a ramp at the cut, but I have often wondered if that was just for that property owner or the residents of the Plantation. I have actually never seen anyone launching from there. Anybody got any insight?
"Be Careful Not To Confuse Motion With Progress."
woopty
Site Sponsor

Post by woopty »

The ramp at the cut is about the most raggedy boat ramp you'll see.
Paved with limestone boulders. You have to look at a while before you realize it's a ramp.
Would need a 4wd and big trailer tires to pull that one off.
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com
Gumbo

Post by Gumbo »

There are two ramps on the left as you come over the bridge. The one where the oystermen launch isn't really a ramp, just sloped sand. If you put in there, put in on the far left (north), it's much deeper on that side. It does get shallow in the small cut on your way out but you will be able to make it as long as it's not a negative tide or a low with strong north/northwest winds. The new public ramp is almost under the bridge and the person who designed it should be put in a crab trap. It's narrow, steep, horrible parking situation, and you can't really launch alone unless you want to tie your boat up to a concrete wall and let it get bashed by the waves while you park. And if you put in with help, after you park you'll be jumping in your boat from a metal ladder that is not very kind.

The ramp in the state park is my favorite, you can put in there and net bait on your way out, usually mud minnows right there by the ramp and finger mullet just off the sand spit you'll pass on your way out to the bay.

The fishing tips earlier in this thread are spot on. The only two things I would add are (1) the spanish are thick thick thick in East Pass right now and (2) the water temperature is soaring so you might want to get out early.

Good luck, look forward to hearing how you did.
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

I was at the Youth Camp Boat ramp in the state park this weekend -

Ramp:

Parking Area:

There's redfish near the ramp - don't need to launch if you don't mind wading (watch out for the yellow flies)
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Gumbo is right on about the paved ramp on the causway. The only other thing I would add is if you atempt ot launch on this ramp in a strong east wind you'll swamp your boat before you can get if off the trailer.
What was I supposed to do today?
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

You never said what size boat you are trying to launch.
The ramp at the plantation is private. Even if you are renting at the plantation you can not launch there. Unless you know someone with the combination to the gate.
Carrabelle city ramp is a good one and not that far from SGI. In fact it's the closest ramp to the East End of SGI. You could fish the east end and DI reef from there. Come in for a on the water lunch at the Fish camp grill across from the city ramp and then go back out fishing. A great day on the water with the family and something different from SGI.
Just some thoughts.
GaWhaler

Post by GaWhaler »

Thanks guys for all the good advice and tips. Sounds like my best bet may be to launch where the oystermen do at a higher tide. I will check out the paved ramp under the causway but from what you all said it does not sound very good. I will probably be launching by myself as well so that one does not sound like the best option. May check out the one in the state park but that is a pretty good ride from where we are staying

Tidedancer, you are right about that ramp in the plantation at the cut. I called down there yesterday and they said you have to be staying in or be a guest of the small gated community at the very end of the plantation to use that ramp. I am staying close by there but not in that gated part.

I have a 17 foot Whaler that does pretty good in skinny water. It does have a V-hull so I have to watch my depths but it floats great, especially if it is just me in the boat. I have actually been surprised at how shallow she will go.

Again, thanks to all for all the advice and info. I will try to post a report on the fishing later net weekend.
Fighting Conch
Site Sponsor

Post by Fighting Conch »

My favorite on the island is the main ramp at the State Park and then fishing all the way to East Pass. I've used the dirt ramp at the causeway many times, park up the hill away from the water if a high tide is coming and at low tide it can be hard to get through the shallows where the sand spit sticks out. Then there is the ramp at the start of the bridge which is way too hard to negotiate. Off island I like to launch at the county facility just of the west of Apalachicola, opposite Airport Road, its about a 5 mile run to St. Vincent from there and then a scenic hop to West Pass.