Spinning Reel Help ???

Need to buy or sell something, post it here.(Only Sponsor Businesses Please)

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Re: Spinning Reel Help ???

Post by fishinfool »

The fish don't care what the rod or the reel looks like. My beat up, boat rashed reels still catch just as many fish today as when they were new and shiny.
You probably passed every J.O.B with flying colors too.
Once a squared away Marine, always a squared away Marine.
Semper Fi,
FF
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

big bend gyrene wrote: The one criticism I will offer is that the handles on the two Presidents I have both started to have the metal-paint flake off of them after a single season even with good cleanings after each trip out.
Same thing here. They still work fine, they just aren't as pretty after a whole season of regular use. I don't think they are advertised as a saltwater reel, but other than the handle paint, mine have held up fine, and I've never used them in fresh water. I have a Stradic as well, and love it and would not trade it for the Pflueger. The Pflueger is just an extra/backup rod.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Gulf Coast wrote:Thanks ,went with the sahara .Ordered be here Fri.
Thanks R/C ordered the rod comp. to build him a bad arse rod !! :thumbup: :thumbup: Can't wait til it gets here, ready to build and see how it fishes.
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

Gulf Coast wrote:
Gulf Coast wrote:Thanks ,went with the sahara .Ordered be here Fri.
Thanks R/C ordered the rod comp. to build him a bad arse rod !! :thumbup: :thumbup: Can't wait til it gets here, ready to build and see how it fishes.
Build me a bad arse rod..............I thought we were friends? Help a brotha out!
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

I don't even want to tell you how much I spent to go CUSTOM, lost my head for a minute
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Gulf Coast wrote:I don't even want to tell you how much I spent to go CUSTOM, lost my head for a minute
I placed an order today myself.
Did you get what we talked about?
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Reel Cowboy wrote:
Gulf Coast wrote:I don't even want to tell you how much I spent to go CUSTOM, lost my head for a minute
I placed an order today myself.
Did you get what we talked about?
10-FO :thumbup:
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Sure, you'll spend some more, but he'll have a rod he'll treasure the rest of his life if he takes care of it. He'll be the envy of all his fishin' buds. Reel Cowboy does nice work.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Any thoughts on a good line ? mono/power-pro ?
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

just go with Power-Pro, 15lb. easy enough to cast, but still enough control for the youngster
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Gulf Coast wrote:Any thoughts on a good line ? mono/power-pro ?
I'm really starting to like the Sufix 832 braid (in hi-vis neon lime). :smt045
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Harmsway wrote: I'm really starting to like the Sufix 832 braid (in hi-vis neon lime). :smt045

I like it as well on my spinning reels.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Aquamaholic

Post by Aquamaholic »

I just recently (within the last few months) replaced all of the mono on my Shimano spinning reels with Power Pro. The extra casting distance and sensitivity is great . I have not had any problems with line twist or knots in the line (I always close my bail by hand).

On the other hand I did have some issues with braid on one of my Shimano baitcasters, the 20lb PP would dig into itself on the spool and cause backlashes. I have heard that using heavier braid (30 -40lb test) on a baitcaster is a good idea to minimize line dig in.

I have read a lot of positive reviews on the suffix braid and will try that next time I respool.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I fish 15-20# braid on my baitcasters and haven't had any issues. The trick is winding the line on with tension so it packs tightly. I use a damp rag and crank the line through it while I'm holding it tightly against the rod and that seems to work well.

I normally use Power Pro, but I've tried a couple spools of the Suffix 832 and really like it. Casts well, very limp and no memory. The Gore-tex strand adds extra strength and does seem to make the line a little more round than flat, more like mono.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Well I have a week or two before I get the rod built, but it looks like a lot you like the suffix. I have always (the last 10 years) use p-line mono and can't brag on it enough, never had any break-offs on any legal reds or trout. Just given them a shout out ! :thumbup: