Advice on a New trolling motor

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Aquamaholic

Advice on a New trolling motor

Post by Aquamaholic »

Looking to buy a new trolling motor in the near future. I currently have 54lb thrust Great White SW series, but want to upgrade to a 24v 72 or 80lb thrust. The 54 is a nice trolling motor it is just not strong engough for my 18' flats boat.

Any recomendations on brand or thrust?

Should I also install an onboard charger?

Thanks
culrich
Site Sponsor

Re: Advice on a New trolling motor

Post by culrich »

Aquamaholic wrote:Looking to buy a new trolling motor in the near future. I currently have 54lb thrust Great White SW series, but want to upgrade to a 24v 72 or 80lb thrust. The 54 is a nice trolling motor it is just not strong engough for my 18' flats boat.

Thanks

I have a 80lb thrust Minn Kota 24v with a onboard charger. I couldn't be happier with it, its on a 18' Hewes.
NO FLUKE!!!

LANARK MARKET!!!!
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

I've got an 82# Motor Guide on my 22' bay boat that does a good job. But my next one will be wireless or one of the GPS enabled ones.
Go ahead & get the on board charger, you'll be glad you did.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

I have a Minn Kota 70/CP/AP on my 18' Tidewater bay boat. Plenty of power, lasts all day, remote control is the bomb (fish from anywhere on the boat). Auto pilot keeps it on course so you're not having to adjust it all the time. Definitely get the onboard charger. I have a 45 min. drive to the nearest ramp so I installed a DC charger (made by Minn Kota) that I wired to my tow vehicle 12V so my batteries charge on the way home and top off on the way to the ramp.
Aquamaholic

Post by Aquamaholic »

culrich wrote:
Aquamaholic wrote:Looking to buy a new trolling motor in the near future. I currently have 54lb thrust Great White SW series, but want to upgrade to a 24v 72 or 80lb thrust. The 54 is a nice trolling motor it is just not strong engough for my 18' flats boat.

Thanks

I have a 80lb thrust Minn Kota 24v with a onboard charger. I couldn't be happier with it, its on a 18' Hewes.
Thats good to know, this is for a Redfisher. Which model Minn Kota? Looks like there is 5 different Riptide models.
Aquamaholic

Post by Aquamaholic »

DEMON wrote:I have a Minn Kota 70/CP/AP on my 18' Tidewater bay boat. Plenty of power, lasts all day, remote control is the bomb (fish from anywhere on the boat). Auto pilot keeps it on course so you're not having to adjust it all the time. Definitely get the onboard charger. I have a 45 min. drive to the nearest ramp so I installed a DC charger (made by Minn Kota) that I wired to my tow vehicle 12V so my batteries charge on the way home and top off on the way to the ramp.

Can you get it with the remote and not the gps auto pilot? I am on a budget so I will probably buy the cheapest saltwater 80# I can, but man a remote would be nice. This was money I was saving for a Power Pole, but I decided a more powerful trolling motor is gonna have to happen first.
sundown
Site Sponsor

Post by sundown »

I have the 24v 80# minn koto on my 20' alum triton...So far been a good one.. also have the on board charger. its convenient.
culrich
Site Sponsor

Post by culrich »

Aquamaholic wrote:
culrich wrote:

Thanks

Thats good to know, this is for a Redfisher. Which model Minn Kota? Looks like there is 5 different Riptide models.
I have the SM model I believe. Its great, has plenty of power and last me a few days with the 24v system.
NO FLUKE!!!

LANARK MARKET!!!!
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

Yes you can get with remote and without autopilot. The "CP" designation is for Co-Pilot (remote). The "AP" is for the autopilot. So, you would be looking for a "80/CP".
If I'm reading Minn Kota's websight correctly, you might want to look at the 70# SP models rather than the 80# ST's. They have basically the same features but the SP is several hundred cheaper. I doubt you could tell the difference in the 10# of thrust.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

A push pole is more dependable.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Jumptrout51 wrote:A push pole is more dependable.

That's right, mine always starts and never needs re-charging. Well, voltage-wise anyway.

That said, most of the late model Minn Kotas can be converted to the iPilot, so you have that option down the line if you go with MK.
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

I tried the push pole but could never talk anyone into poling the boat for me while I fished!
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

DEMON wrote:I tried the push pole but could never talk anyone into poling the boat for me while I fished!

You have to be very selective with your invitations! Either that or get a better set of friends. :lol:
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

silverking wrote:
DEMON wrote:I tried the push pole but could never talk anyone into poling the boat for me while I fished!

You have to be very selective with your invitations! Either that or get a better set of friends. :lol:

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

silverking wrote: You have to be very selective with your invitations! Either that or get a better set of friends. :lol:

Yeah, you can't just walk around asking folks to pole you. It just don't sound right.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"