Ecofina 5/21/11

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hit-n-Miss

Ecofina 5/21/11

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:-D Set out from the ramp around 7:00. Running along anticipating a good day-then the moter abruptly died. :smt011. What the heck. So we crank up and plane out again, 30 seconds later it died. :smt010 We thought all the Ethanol probelems were fixed because it ran great last trip. We are dead in the water almost to the mouth a nice couple from Pelham stopped to see if we wanted a tow back to the ramp. We said thanks but were going to work on it here. It would crank and idle without dying so we decided to put to my closest spot and started fishing. The water was crystal clear and the weather perfect. Water temps went from 75-79 degrees. Daniel caught the 1st fish it was the smallest cobia I have ever seen.Image

Continued on fishing just drifting where ever the tide took us and caught a few fish including this spanish.Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us When you cant go where you want you happen across new spots. We found some great places that should hold scallops and flounder. We only cranked the moter to redrift a couple of times because it really was sounding odd. At lunch we saw the couple from Pelham again wanting to see if we needed a tow since they were heading in. We said thanks but said we would idle in later. Around two we decided to head in. About halfway up the river the moter started to knock and a preacher from Sylvester offered us a tow. Image
Got back to the ramp and headed home to clean up the boat and try to figure out what the problem with the motor was. Here is a pic of the catch.Image The next day Daniel said that he found one piece of trash in the bottom carb and that one cylinder was getting no gas. Probly going to have to rebuild the moter now. :smt011
Hit-n-Miss

Re: Ecofina 5/21/11

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Since only one piston was affected should'nt he be able to just put in new rings and hone the cylinders? Two have 120#'s and the bottom one has 40#'s.
tabb

Post by tabb »

How did the one cyL not get any gas? Since there was no gas in Cyl and not firing how would that do damage? Just curious in case I have same problems.

Heading to Econfina Tuesday for a couple of days.
Blue spinner
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue spinner »

good to here you got home
thanks for telling us abouth this site
my wife has started to cook the fish we caught
One thing about the speed of light it gets here too early in the morning
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

tabb wrote:How did the one cyL not get any gas? Since there was no gas in Cyl and not firing how would that do damage? Just curious in case I have same problems.

Heading to Econfina Tuesday for a couple of days.
Three carbs and one was clogged. No gas in cylinder also means no oil(2 Stroke)
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Blue spinner wrote:good to here you got home
thanks for telling us abouth this site
my wife has started to cook the fish we caught
Good to meet you Bluespinner. Thanks again for offering help. We ate our fish sunday. Gonna have leftovers tonight. Lots of good folks on this site. I look forward to your reports. :-D
tabb

Post by tabb »

Would it get any gas/oil from the other carbs? Do you think this damage happened after the intial problem when you were just on idle speed or when you running in the river.
Breambuster

Post by Breambuster »

sorry to hear about your engine trouble.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

:thumbup: :thumbup: That was still a good catch, even for not moving around much with a bad engine. I had to replace my oil injector on my 40 hp Johnson a few years ago, motor kept cutting off when trying to run wide open. Good luck with yours.
Yours in the South