Tiger sharks

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

silverking
Site Sponsor

Tiger sharks

Post by silverking »

Didn't want to de-rail similar threads, but here's another on tiger sharks. Capt. Chuck Simpson and I shot this footage aboard my boat last spring out on Ochlockonee Shoals. Tigers are apparently territorial and remain in the same areas if there's enough food.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoCzir8FVZg

On Friday I cast to a 6-foot+ blacktip in three feet off the backside of Dog Island. He wouldn't eat my eel jig, however. The Alligator Harbor temperature gauge has the water up to 82 degrees after this weekend's heat wave, so that's ideal for all kinds of sharks to be swimming around in our inshore and nearshore waters.

Just in time for scallop season... :wink:
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Re: Tiger sharks

Post by lonesouth »

Nice footage!
silverking wrote:Just in time for scallop season... :wink:

How many people have actually seen, or encountered, a shark while they were scalloping?

Just curious.
850-273-8818
wacissaguy

Post by wacissaguy »

3 years ago my wife, myself and our dog were scalloping near the gray mare.One of us has to stay in the boat with the dog (golden retriever) or he jumps in with us. Somewhere in the morning I heard my wife screaming at me and finally looked up and with great aggravation yelled WHAT! She screamed shark and pointed, I turned to look and saw 2 Bull sharks less than a hundred yards away and they were thrashing and tearing up a pod of fish, I slowly turned over on my back and attempted to slowly fin myself back to the boat. As soon as I made my first kick, one of the sharks turned toward me at some speed and before he got to me submerged(4' of water),I was positive I was going to lose at least a foot, this was the same year that a couple of people had been attacked in Pensacola, and Panama City.I put myself in high gear and made it to the boat intact, but that was as scared as I have ever been while diving.I have been diving since I was 12, grew up in the miami area and have seen quite a few sharks in the water,but this made an impression.
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

HEY SILVERKING, YA DIDN'T SEE THAT BIG ONE IN THE RIGHT UPPER CORNER OF THE FIRST SEVERAL FRAMES, HE WOULD MAKE THE ONE IN THE CENTER LOOK LIKE A MINNOW.
PA
FUTCHCAIRO
sundown
Site Sponsor

Post by sundown »

Dunno bout tigers but I just got home from enconfina today and the blacktips were everywhere. I hooked one that I guessed was a blacktip that almost spooled a 9500 penn. We had to run him down with the boat before he took all my line and finally threw the hook. Got a rope on one that had to weigh 50 plus and released him....had to use a rope cause one had already demolished my gaff .
Plus saw a couple more at least 6'.. Most sharks I've ever seen on the flats. Just wondering if the lack of fresh water is bringing them in like this.

What started it was the trout bite was slow early and we went out to the cobia hole to see if we could see any cobes..Had a couple ladyfish for bait and if there were any cobia there they musta cut out when the sharks showed up.
jcbahr

Post by jcbahr »

I use have a photo of a large Tiger shark that wrapped itself into a net being drug by kids trying to get mullet in the Shell Point Channel. Always
was careful after that.