Wade or Kyak fishing bay - SGI

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

geno

Wade or Kyak fishing bay - SGI

Post by geno »

:smt006

I am a regular visitor to SGI and spend a lot of time fishing in the surf on the gulf side.

Headed down for the week of May 28 - June 4 and wanting to try something new... fishing from a kyak or wade fishing on the bay side. Carrying a kyak down and staying w/in paddling distance (1-2 miles)of goose island and rattle snake cove. Thought this might be a good area to try.

Anyway, never done this before and looking for some advice. Good Spot? Tide to fish? Bait/tactics? I am finshing with lighter spinning or bait cast. Any advice or cautions? Love to hear from someone or even meet up with someone that doesnt mine showing a new guy to this the ropes.
geno

Re: Wade or Kyak fishing bay - SGI

Post by geno »

hope to find reds and trout/
JeffB
Site Sponsor

Post by JeffB »

Hey Geno,
Go to Island Adventures and ask for Cletis Anderson. He will give you all the info you need.
Tell him that Jeff Brown told you to come and see him.
But, basically you need popping corks, gulp shrimp new penny or pearl white.
Super flukes for Reds. Or, you may just want to fish with live shrimp.
Cletis will fix you up.
Good Luck
geno

Post by geno »

Thanks Jeff - Island Adventures??? I know the Survivors B&T and Fishermans Something.... Both on the right a block or two after comming on the Island. And Journeys..... Where is Island Adventures? i am drawing a blank?
JeffB
Site Sponsor

Post by JeffB »

Take a left at the main road like you are going to the state park and I think it's the first store on the left. May not be.
They will have bicycles and peddle cars out by the side of it.
Anyway, you will see it. It's not far at all after you turn left.
geno

Post by geno »

Packed, pumped and ready to leave for SGI in the AM. Thanks for the help and will be in touch thru the week :smt006
geno

Post by geno »

Spent the week at SGI and tried the bay from kyak the first couple of mornings with little success. Did get on a school of lady fish which was fun.

But the Surf side of the island was fantastic. My buddy and I fished the surf several mornings and afternoons and really got into the pompano, trout, and whiting. Best I have ever seen it in the surf. Big time.