MEMORIAL DAY - THANKS

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Juan
Site Sponsor

Re: MEMORIAL DAY - THANKS

Post by Juan »

fly n fish wrote:Funny thing though, we all did it and never expected any "thanks". To so many of us it was just what you "did". However, we all share a kinship for the remainder of our lives with our brothers in arms, in any branch of our military, in times of peace or times of conflict. That brotherhood is felt but rarely spoken of. Sleep well our warriors who have passed, you did us proud. May God hold you close and continue to bless our wonderful country.

USMC '69
Well said :thumbup:

USA 70-04
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
ferris1248
Site Sponsor

Post by ferris1248 »

Juan wrote:
fly n fish wrote:Funny thing though, we all did it and never expected any "thanks". To so many of us it was just what you "did". However, we all share a kinship for the remainder of our lives with our brothers in arms, in any branch of our military, in times of peace or times of conflict. That brotherhood is felt but rarely spoken of. Sleep well our warriors who have passed, you did us proud. May God hold you close and continue to bless our wonderful country.

USMC '69
Well said :thumbup:

USA 70-04
Well said indeed. Thank you "fly 'n fish"

RVN 69-70
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Seven Quick facts about Memorial Day (according to www.allproudamericans.com) . . .

1. Why we observe Memorial Day
Memorial Day is a day of remembrance of those who have died serving our country.
2. It started with the Civil War
Memorial Day was a response to the unprecedented carnage of the Civil War, in which some 620,000 soldiers on both sides died.
3. It was first known as Decoration Day
From the practice of decorating graves with flowers, wreaths and flags, the holiday was long known as Decoration Day. The name Memorial Day goes back to 1882, but the older name didn't disappear until after World War II. Federal law declared "Memorial Day" the official name in 1967.
4. The playing of 'Taps'
The 24-note bugle call, is played at all military funerals and memorial services.
5. Flying the Flag
It is customary on Memorial Day to fly the flag at half staff until noon, and then raise it to the top of the staff until sunset.
6. Flowers and Flags
These are the two most popular items people use to remember soldiers.
7. The last Monday of May
Memorial Day is observed on the last Monday of May.
Last edited by Harmsway on May 29th, 2011, 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
illinoisfisherman
Site Sponsor

Post by illinoisfisherman »

We all owe an unrepayable debt to those that served and especially those that sacrificed.

My sister that lives N of Atlanta was up this week and Dad pulled out his old photo's. As Dad was in arial recon in WW2 he had access to many cameras. They are very interesting. Two that I had never seen before were taken after the war. They were of plaques outside of the church where our family worshiped. The first was of WW1 vets that had served from the church. The second was of WW2 vets that had served from the church. It made me feel proud that my family was on both.

South, east, west and north we are one country. All parts of our country have sent our sons to war. All parts of our country have had sons that did not return.

I thank all Vets. This weekend every year I shed tears for those friends and relatives that did not return. Thank you brave souls. Rest in peace.