Fiberglass/Gelcoat repair estimate wanted

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

kirt123

Fiberglass/Gelcoat repair estimate wanted

Post by kirt123 »

I am in Valdosta Ga and want to get an estimate of what it will cost to refinish a portion of the hull on my 17 ft flats boat. the gel coat is starting to wear off in places on the on the keel from front to back and will need some refinishing, the wear runs from about 3/4 of the length from front to back and about a foot wide, starts getting worse towards the back, some places have exposed glass but not too bad.
FUTCHCAIRO

Re: Fiberglass/Gelcoat repair estimate wanted

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

IF YOU HAVE EXPOSED GLASS YA NEED TO GET IT COVERED RIGHT AWAY OTHER WISE THE GLASS WILL GET RUINED AND IT WILL TAKE ON WATER THAT WILL NEVER GET OUT. RESIN FOR THE GEL HAS GONE SKY HIGH, THE CHEAPEST PLACE TO GET GLASS AND RESIN IS ARM DOWN IN MEDART ON RD. 98, I DO NOT KNOW IF THEY DO ANY GEL COATING OR NOT. THEY ARE LOCATED ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE THE ROAD RIGHT AT MEDART GOING TO THE WEST.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Contact Down Time on here. He just had his done this past winter and from what I remember, they were reasonably priced and did a good job.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Mike's Marine Ways just north of Hwy 98/St. Marks (behind the Dollar General Store in the industrial plaza). Great service and reasonable prices.

925-5685
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

There is guy in Nashville named Gene that redid my proline. I don't have his number, but call Valdosta Outboards and ask them for it.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
chugbug

Post by chugbug »

There is a place in lake city called boat doctors. I'm in the process of redoing mine. If you can wait I can do yours next.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Mike's Marine Ways x2 can't beat the price or the work...I drive almost two hours one way to carry it to him.
kirt123

Post by kirt123 »

Chug, you doing your whole boat or just the bottom? Cant see you hitting too many Oyster bar in the bass boat.
chugbug

Post by chugbug »

I have some blistering on the bottom of the hull. Plus, I'm wet sanding the rest.
Rogan
Site Sponsor

Post by Rogan »

JW Henley in Nashville is very good on that type stuff if he hasnt retired. He used to do warrenty work for area boat builders. Anything to do with a boat, he can do it and do it well.
"No, I dont remember where I last had it, if I knew I'd go get it" ...
qoutrage
Site Sponsor

Post by qoutrage »

A second option in Carrabelle, should you decide, you want to do the work down here, and in the event Mike Marshall is backed up with work, is Ken McLaughlin 904-209-7091. He has beaucoup experience, having done marine repairs and restoration, since his late teens (he looks to be in his mid 40s). He worked for Mike until he got his FL credentials and now rents space at Mikes facility. I have seen some of his work. He is good and has reasonable rates. I will likely be using him to do the bottom of my boat sometime in the fall.
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

Mikes Marine ways is the place to go. I have gotten to know him well over the past few years. Tell him Eric Keyser sent you and that you heard about him here. I have been telling him for years to become a site sponsor, maybe if he get's enough business from here he will! :thumbup: Great guy!