off topic

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

newboy

off topic

Post by newboy »

I know this probably isn't the best place but I'm trying everything. I found out today that my job will basically be over in about two weeks. I am a plantation manager in Albany, GA and a pending sale of the property has pretty much rendered me jobless. The buyers are wanting to take the property in a direction that will not involve me. I am currently looking for employement elsewhere. In addition to my education and experience as a plantation manger I also have about ten years experience as a machinist. If anybody knows of some jobs, please let me know.

Stressed,

Newboy
big bend gyrene

Re: off topic

Post by big bend gyrene »

Promise, Newboy, not trying to be a smartazz... would be helpful if you could list some more jobs you think that the Plantation Management / Machinist experience might qualify you to fill. Been around plantations much my life but don't know exactly what management of one entails.., hiring/firing crews, scheduling, payroll, admin duties or more hands-on forestry management/etc? Guess the other question I would ask is how wide open are you to jobs outside your past comfort zone and/or do you have some time safely in the pocket to search for an ideal fit before you go out to the broader job market seeking any work. Just trying to ask some questions that might help the broad spectrum of folks on this board know what you can do/what we can do. :thumbup:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Newboy:

I wish you all the good luck in the world. I'm a farmer and this dry weather is eating my lunch. Know how you feel but look at it this way. In a hundred years, who will know?
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

drop by Turbocor in tallahassee and fill out an application. we are a growing company and you machinist experience could get you in. It is a bit of a drive from albany though...
850-273-8818
newboy

Post by newboy »

BBG, I don't consider that a smartazz question. My time here has been challenging. I am handling everything from office work (payroll, hire/fire, etc...) to lawn maintenence, plumbing issues, tractor & equipment repair, forest/land management and reccomendations, wildlife population tracking and data reccording, dog training & guiding hunts etc.... the list just goes on. My machinist background was a tool/die maker in plastic extrusion mfg company and then a "job" shop where we ranged from farm equipment repair to tooling we made and sent around the world. The only part of my maching history that was week was; I didn't use or program a lot of CNC type machines.

I'll check into Turbocor and see what that is all about. My wife works in cordele, so a tally job for me would also mean new job for her. I'm not ruling this type situation out but I do have a severance package that will hopefully carry me long enough to find whats right fo me and my wife.

P.S. I have a Brittany Spaniel that is due to have pups in about two weeks. Hard times will equal good pricing on awesome hunting/companions dogs.

Newboy
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

e-mail me your resume with emphasis on your Plantation experience. robmel@windstream.net
GULP! free since 1970.
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

birddog wrote:e-mail me your resume with emphasis on your Plantation experience. robmel@windstream.net
:o ....hang on... :o yep, a post from birddog :-D
newboy, hang in there. Trust me when I tell you that you will find a job. IF I here of anything related to your field I will post it here :thumbup: Hang in there.
Stay Thirsty My Friends
diamondback

Post by diamondback »

check with caterpillar in thomasville.they have been hiring alot of operators,machinists,lately.they only hire thru a temp agency and I dont know if their starting salary would be worth the drive for albany.I work in maintenance and there are several of our guys driving from albany/sylvester.
newboy

Post by newboy »

Bird Dog its on the way. It will be coming from slagnet7@yahoo.com. :thumbup:

Thanks,

Newboy
newboy

Post by newboy »

BTW, for a group of people I've never met in person, everybody here just ROCKS! Thank you all for the help you have provided on the water and now off the water
bigirishllp

Post by bigirishllp »

http://www.talltimbers.org/ they are great folks. they officially don't have any openings right now, but you might want to go by with a resume and introduce yourself. Even if they can't get you in there, they would be a great networking connection for someone with your skill set.

you will be in our prayers for gainful employment.
Mike
GaWhaler

Post by GaWhaler »

Newboy,

I work with the Wright Group, a real estate brokerage and advisory company in Thomasville. We currently have several plantations for sale and have sold several recently. We are in constant contact with a lot of the plantation owners throughout this region and I would be more than willing to let you know of any positions I know of that come available. There is one plantation down here that i know of that seems to be always looking for help. Send me a PM and i would be glad to tell you about it.

Also, Tall Timbers would be a good place to drop in. Those guys would be a good group to get to know and they may be able to help.

Good luck and let me know if I can help. You will find something once you get out there and beat the bushes.
Last edited by GaWhaler on June 7th, 2011, 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
GaWhaler

Post by GaWhaler »

For some reason the link i used did not work to the article. Here is the article in the Albany Herald today:
Last edited by GaWhaler on June 7th, 2011, 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

GaWhaler wrote:The farm, however, failed and the Sherrods blamed systemic racism in the USDA for the failure.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why else would it have failed? It's not like any other farms have failed.

Sorry, for the derail. I'll listen out and let you know if I hear of anything.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
newboy

Post by newboy »

Please remove this comment above. This type stuff has caused lots of friction in my life today.

Newboy