Crystal River

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

kneeknocker

Crystal River

Post by kneeknocker »

I am fishing the Crystal River area next weekend during fathers day weekend and I do not know anything about the area. Can anyone help? I will be fishing inshore and just need a little direction. Thank You.
TEAM NO FLUKE!!!
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Re: Crystal River

Post by captkeyser »

Tripp, there are some good bars to fish right at the mouth of the river. Caught bunches of trout on jig/grub combo there a couple of years ago. You can also run North to Cedar Key. Tons of "keys" to fish around in this area. May even be worth trailering the boat to Cedar Key and fishing all of the islands.

Nina and I do an annual trip to Cedar Key, and have always done well in the area. Think Crystal River is about 30mins South of CK by truck. :thumbup:
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

only fished there once. There were tarpoon rolling all over the bar in front of the water plant, and we caught several trout and reds in the creeks/marsh just south of there. Lots of rock piles just off shore and we caught short groupers and hooked a hammerhead almost as big as the Angler I was fishing out of of a couple of them. You should have fun.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Check out the web sites for Captains William Toney or Dan Clymer, Tripp. Both are some of the best guides in the area and they publish good reports with intel on the latest bite.

And don't stray out of the channel when running the river. Lots of nasty rocks.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Check out the web sites for Captains William Toney or Dan Clymer, Tripp. Both are some of the best guides in the area and they publish good reports with intel on the latest bite.

And don't stray out of the channel when running the river. Lots of nasty rocks.
kneeknocker

Post by kneeknocker »

Thanks everyone. How are the rocks outside of the mouth? Thanks again. Trip
TEAM NO FLUKE!!!