Carrabelle 6/11/11 with BBG and Uncle Charlie

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Ranaman

Carrabelle 6/11/11 with BBG and Uncle Charlie

Post by Ranaman »

Carrabelle Fishing June 11, 2011

After Big Bend Gyrene put Celeste on her first ever cobia; which tied his boat recorded with a 35 pounder, we had to repay the favor by inviting him on the Celestial Crab for a snapper/grouper trip. As luck would have it Celeste’s uncle, Charlie provided us with a great base of operations to work out of this past weekend by renting our friend from the FS forum, “River Dogs” house on the Carrabelle River for 5 days for us, the kids, my mother in law and friend Bobbie. Charlie has fished fresh water and even salt water most of his life and being one of those Illinoisans, we tried to get him offshore for a quick mornings worth of fishing, problem is he has been told by the dermatologist that after a number of melanoma cases he has to be out of the sun during peak times. So early it was, BBG was gracious enough to meet us at the house well before sun up and help Celeste mate for Charlie and then after returning him to the hill we figured we go back and try again DEEP for just the three of us.

Everything worked out well, BBG was early and helped get the boat down river, rigged up to catch bait and just as I was approaching Dog Island the light bulb went off and I remembered I forgot all the frozen bait at the house! :bang_1 Since this is not our normal fishing trailer I was a little distracted having to motor a half hour down river and no way did I want to do that again so we woke our oldest son to get him to drop it off at the public ramp for us.

After being one of the first if not first rec. boat out of the river with the sun just breaking the bays horizon we were now about 20th and the sun up quite a bit before some additional “live” bait hit the deck and we headed offshore. Charlie being an easy going guy just enjoyed the runs back and forth and eventually the sea basses that he caught at our first number and was content with that. I however was not and pushed his time on the water a little trying to get him hooked up to something a little larger, finally with sun and tide high he got a big hit on a hardtail I was looking for, unfortunately it came unbuttoned shortly after hit rod tip about hit the water. He was happy with that and so we drove him back to the boat ramp during the high tide lull. Everyone had a little break at the facilities and BBG, Celeste and me headed back after them, our bait spot was so good in the morning we couldn’t resist another shot at some good baits and quickly filled the well again with live baits. Pointed the bow south and headed to 90ft without stopping which it turns out may NOT have been the smart thing to do because my 90 ft snapper numbers were barren, I don’t know what’s going on out there, but I know the were snapper here, so we searched a little and found a nice red grouper to take a bait. Then a cobia shows himself while Celeste is reeling up to check on her bait drops it back and he follows only to hit Johns bait as he was bringing it up to try and get it into the mix. A fairly short battle on grouper tackle provided us a nice keeper cobia in the box. OK not the Snapper I wanted but who can complain!! I LIKE cobia!! :stupid_1

We abandon our deeper numbers and hit some spots on the way back as by this time with all the running the day is getting late and still no red snapper. I am struggling as a Captain trying to repay john and didn’t even know until later he had never caught one before; thank God since then the pressure really would have been on me.

We stopped at one spot and had a few sea basses and big grunt and I think some short Red grouper, and Celeste even managed a keeper flounder, but no snapper so I kept easing in toward the islands picking numbers as I went. As I approach a decent winter spot I see a little blip on the bottom “zoomed” side of the sounder and John and I look at each other and nod, so I whip the C Crab around and try and locate this SMALL little relief, I find it with a little green on top (meaning live bottom on my Furuno) so John and Celeste shoot some baits down. Seconds later John’s rod is getting tapped and then hit hard, he goes high and tight on a nice fish and the tell tale bounce bounce bounce of the rod starts and I tell him you have a snapper on my friend only THEN does he mention he’s never caught one! “OH Crap now you tell me” I said, just keep the pressure on and reel him up! John is no stranger to fighting large fish, but is amazed that this fish doesn’t’ want to come up out of the depths and finally gets him to bend to the will of the rod pulling him into the awaiting boga. We plop the 22 inch fish on the ruler and high fives latter here is John (BBG’s) first ever American Red Snapper!! A Fine Job Marine!!

Happy crew celebrates with one more stop on the way in and seems the crew put some stink on their baits because the Captain was the hot hand for a while as I caught and released 3 just short red grouper in 10 minutes or less. Although a long day, It was fun for me and Celeste and we were very fortunate to have such great company for crew…Thanks, to my crew Celeste, John and Charlie and River Dog and Tide Dancer who helped me out with the right sized hitch (left at house) in order for me to put the boat in the water! The Carrabelle and forum communities have certainly provided us with some great memories and assistance, thanks to you all!

Ranaman AKA, Salty Joe, or the Crab
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Re: Carrabelle 6/11/11 with BBG and Uncle Charlie

Post by Jumptrout51 »

:thumbup:
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Can't give thanks enough for the great trip out! :D :thumbup:

Deepest spot I had fished in our neck of the woods had been 30' and have to say big difference between quickly yanking a just-legal gag up 20 or so feet versus fighting fish 60 to 90 feet, ESPECIALLY that snapper that was intent on fighting to the depths the entire way up! GREAT DAY on the water I won't soon forget! :beer: :beer: :beer:

Amongst the many memories, the one thing I think I WON'T repeat if given another opportunity to board the Celestial Crab is downing one of these...
Ay, caramba!!! :smt005

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
big bend gyrene

Have to add that I can't blame Ranaman for the chili beer... I brought it on board and tortured myself, much to the amusment of Ranaman and Celeste I should add! :lol:

Any board member love the chili beer, I got five more sitting in the fridge I'll give away... one was enough! Drinking it made me remember an old favorite Cheech & Chong movie line that a few fellow middle-aged board members may remember... "C'mon ice cream!!!" :smt005
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Jhults11

Post by Jhults11 »

Good report...iv heard the cobes are everywhere this year, iv yet to get one but have mainly been targeting snapper and grouper, next trip mabey we will alot some time to chum on a couple reefs or inshore winter grouper spots....
"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau
dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Post by dolphinatic »

Know what you mean about the barren snapper spots. However, mine might be barren for a different reason. I was talking to a "friend of a friend" about going and he mentioned something about all the fish they had been catching off a spot named the "___________." Just so happens that it was the name of a spot someone else fished with me 2 years ago. It's produced quality fish for 10 years up until this year. Me thinks someone has had a honey hole and taken quite the advantage of it :(

Nice trip Joe :thumbup: Glad to see you broke the Marine in on fishing deeper water :-D One of these days I'll make it out there with ya. I was there the night before ya'll went this time though.....trying to go back this weekend.
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." Proverbs 18:21

Team BevisRealty.com
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

Great report "Salty Joe" Your crew always does a good job at retrieving fish from our coastal waters.
I can't believe this forum let "help Celeste mate for Charlie" go by without a comment. I had a little chuckle when I read that, but I'm a dirty old man anyway.
I enjoyed your visit to License To Chill and your company at dinner Sunday night. Come by anytime.
Ranaman

Post by Ranaman »

Thanks Chuck and Tom, really need to get out with both of you!

Oops sounded like BBG & my love were MATING for dirty ole Uncle Charlie LOL Can't have that Pam might get a little jealous I know I would LOL:) Did forget to mention that Ole BBG is a Master "bait" catcher :-D
Last edited by Ranaman on June 16th, 2011, 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
big bend gyrene

Ranaman wrote:Did for get to mention that Ole BBG is a Master "bait" catcher
Maybe I need to temper the competiveness on catching bait, because Good Lord knows I've heard that one a time or two (hundred). :oops: :lol:

As for Celeste, don't dare make any inappropriate jokes as she takes her fishing serious enough afraid she would beat up this ol' gyrene if I got out of line. :smt018 That shared report wouldn't be complete without adding that in addition to the keeper flounder, she SLAYED the seabass. Absolutely caught the biggest seabass I've seen caught in the big bend and caught about 5 for ever 1 the rest of us caught. :thumbup: Confident Ranaman could have slayed them too, but he worked so hard to keep us on fish that he didn't get the chance to fish enough -- couldn't have asked for a better captain! :thumbup: :beer:
fish finder
Site Sponsor

Post by fish finder »

Nice catch Ranaman. Maybe not the quantity that you had hoped for, but definately quality! :beer: :beer: I'll bet if you had more time to look around in the 90ft area, you would have found some of those snapper.
Ranaman

Post by Ranaman »

FF we ran so much, by the time we got out there we pretty much missed the bite, I am sure they are still around just didn't cooperate like I wanted them to at that time of day! Was a great time and despite the name calling I love catching bait and MAN did we have a great time with that, one of the best and most diverse few drops on a sabiki I've witnessed.
qoutrage
Site Sponsor

Post by qoutrage »

Guess I missed this 'un, Joe. As always, nice report. :D