Panacea Red Grouper...

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

bman

Panacea Red Grouper...

Post by bman »

I got invited on a overnight snapper trip out of Carabell this week. We got to the dock Thursday night to find out mechanical problems with the boat.
After several hours trying to fix it we gave up and headed back to TOdens place in Medart. The next morning we confirmed the boat was still being worked on and would not be ready any time soon.
We had bait, rods and reels ready- along with hall passes from our wives.
A great forecast from NOAA pushed us over the edge and we and decided to take our chances in the skiff.
I ran back to Tallahassee to get the bottom finder- that turned out to be the best decision of the day.

We got to the Panacea Marina about 9am to find the boat in the water and gassed up. The seas were calm and we stopped at the end of the channel to catch some pinfish augmenting our squid, cigar minnows and LYs. After that we ran out to 40' and tried a few public numbers with limited luck. A little longer ride and we got to 60 feet and finely found some action. A few short gags, and a couple of break offs by big amberjack kept us entertained. I put one Mango in the box. We were still hoping for snapper or red grouper. Toden suggested we troll to another number so we ambled long with some stretch25s off the back but found no love.

We decided to pull them in and make a run to another public number. Just as we took off the bottom machine lit up- BIG STRUCTURE! I hit the mark button and we circled back. Fist drift over the spot I dropped a cigar minnow to the bottom and BAM- keeper red grouper!
That was the beginning of three hours of non stop action. We had several doubles and at least one tripple!
One of the most exciting moments was when Wolfman pulled op a 10 foot nurse shark :o
The grouper bite was solid we caught at least a dozen with as many break offs... Taking home our limit of 6 big Red Grouper. Near the end of our time I put on a lighter rig and caught a box full of grunts- my dad loves them :lick:

The only shot of me- cleaning fish
A box shot- after I had been cleaning fish for a while
Brian, aka Bagataway, aka WolfeMan, with a couple of nice fish

I'm ready to go back!
Last edited by bman on July 3rd, 2011, 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
FHC
Site Sponsor

Re: Panacea Red Grouper...

Post by FHC »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

bman wrote:I'm ready to go back!
I'm ready to take you. Let's go! :-D
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

big bend gyrene wrote:
bman wrote:I'm ready to go back!
I'm ready to take you. Let's go! :-D
I'll drive!
Tom Keels
Site Founder

fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Nice Reds!!
Ranaman

Post by Ranaman »

very cool!!
dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Post by dolphinatic »

I'll go with you on your boat. No generator to work on. Nice floor shot by the way....ha
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." Proverbs 18:21

Team BevisRealty.com
WolfeMan
Site Sponsor

Post by WolfeMan »

It's always nice to catch dinner (and several dinners is all the better...) but dragging that nurse shark to the surface was something I'll not soon forget. She fought like a steamroller - slow and heavy. Biggest fish I've ever caught!
Site Sponsor

Post by WolfeMan »

(And thanks to Mr. Keels for the handy name change. This makes things much easier...

Post by toden »

Great time had by all, hard to believe gags are Out considering how many we threw back, can't wait to go back out and try glow light for snapper also. Wolfemans shark was impressive, we thought he was bringingin up the structure, I would guess tweleve foot, need to post video with my cackle of excitement and wolfe's excitement thinking a cobia was under the shark, good time to end an unfortunate start to the trip, very glad bman took us out, much kudos
WolfeMan
Site Sponsor

Post by WolfeMan »

Yeah, it did look like a Cobia at first...but was quickly discovered to be a giant remora. Good times!
Site Sponsor

Post by qoutrage »

Nice!! Thanks for the report. :D