Suggestions for a bottom fishing reel??

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

bman

Suggestions for a bottom fishing reel??

Post by bman »

My recent off shore success has me considering a new bottom fishing rig.
TOden has a couple of Penn GTs and they have served us well. But last trip we had one go down and had to use a back up rod that I was not that happy with.

I've loved my Shimano spinning reels and see they have a few good models.
Love the look of the Avet Reels- they have a smaller one with good drag and plenty of line for our area.

I don't go that often so I'm not really willing to go over a $200.
Suggestions? Warnings?
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Frank Bradfield
Site Sponsor

Re: Suggestions for a bottom fishing reel??

Post by Frank Bradfield »

I have 4 or 5 Penns. They are ok. I only fish with one rig now. Nothing beats a Newell. No maintenance! Awesome reels.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Why not stay with what you know to be good quality. The Shimano TLD are solid reels. Reliability and in your price range, what else would you want?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

My vote goes to Shimano as well. The TLDs are pretty bulletproof or you can step up to the Toriums for a little bit more.

I fished a new Avet and had it blow up. Haven't fished one since.
tackle_2163_364961862.jpeg
tackle_2163_364961862.jpeg (28.98 KiB) Viewed 3250 times
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Shimano Tekota.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

silverking wrote:My vote goes to Shimano as well. The TLDs are pretty bulletproof or you can step up to the Toriums for a little bit more.

I fished a new Avet and had it blow up. Haven't fished one since.
IMO, the choices above are good ones for trolling and live baiting (the TLD), or live baiting/deep jigging (the Torium). They are not the first choice for bottom fishing, where a star drag works best, again in my opinion. I recommend a Daiwa Saltist, probably a 20 or 30 size (I have both). Pair it with a regular XXXH Shimano Jigging rod (Shimano now makes them white in color with goofy looking guides, doubles the price and sells them for bottom fishing - don't pay the $). The combo is incredibly light, handy to operate, powerful, and able to crank up big snapper/grouper/AJ for not a lot of money. Kevin's can fix you up.

By the way, I have all of the above reels (Torium, TLD) and they work well, although you have to watch the anti-reverse on the Toriums, which are subject to failure if you don't back off the drag before releasing the lever under high pressure (this is a typical problem with Shimano star drag reels, but can be avoided if you back off the drag). The TLD 20 is bulletproof (I have 2) and very inexpensive for what you get. But it is far from a bottom reel. The design is made for ultrasmooth drag stopping long runs like kings or tarpon, not lock down fishing for grouper.

Luck,
EJ
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Barry, offering less good advice on what to get than advice on what not to get. Sadly, I'm afraid I have to agree on the negative review of the Penn GTs. I've sure caught some nice fish with three I've owned but one lasted just two years, a second appears to be dying a quick death, and my confidence is way low on the last one still working.

Know really looking for info on what folks recommend and I'm sure interested on that question too, but if someone can also chime in on why the Penn GTs aren't better built I would appreciate knowing the answer as externally mine look fine and I did regular PM work on them.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

big bend gyrene wrote: Sadly, I'm afraid I have to agree on the negative review of the Penn GTs. I've sure caught some nice fish with three I've owned but one lasted just two years, a second appears to be dying a quick death, and my confidence is way low on the last one still working.

Know really looking for info on what folks recommend and I'm sure interested on that question too, but if someone can also chime in on why the Penn GTs aren't better built I would appreciate knowing the answer as externally mine look fine and I did regular PM work on them.
BBG:

I have two GTI's, a 310 and a 330, both are older and made in the USA. Same goes for a couple of 4/0 Senators, and two 6/0s (all of the Senators are on the shelf now, too nice to give away, too heavy to use, two of the Senators are over 50 YO and were used by my parents). These products have been strong and long lasting with minimal repairs. I know the new Senators are now all made in China, and the quality is very low. Perhaps your GTI's are not the US made models either, and that could be the answer. Not that stuff made in Asia is all bad (a lot of it is very high quality), but those Chinese Senators are crappy. Penn has lately produced some very fine products, but some stuff in the line needs major improvement. I think this is a cycle not uncommon for companies like Penn that used to make their products in the USA, went offshore on the cheap, and suffered a drop in market share because of it. Now the wise managers are getting quality back up, no matter where it is built.
Luck,
EJ
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

EddieJoe, would bet good money you're right. :thumbup:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
WolfeMan
Site Sponsor

Post by WolfeMan »

BMan, I went with the TLD 20. I fished with a TLD 20 with Dasher and his father-in-law in Panama City and I hauled up the boat-record gag grouper out of 80 feet, no problem...so I dont know about it not being a "lock down" bottom rig. It sure locked down on all the grouper and snapper we caught that day. Plus it is plenty versatile to troll with, like we did that day.

I am far from an expert though...but I looked at a ton of options before deciding on the TLD20. Your mileage may vary...
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Barry, the Shimanos are the easy option. My buddy who runs the charter out of Pensacola has been fishing the Okuma line and has only positive feedback; they've landed some monsters with them. Prices look very reasonable .
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Barry,
The TLD also comes in a star drag model. I can hook you up with some carbon drag washers which will smooth the drag considerably. The only drawback I have heard of with the TLDs is the drag washers can get a little sticky when hot or wet. The carbons run around $30 installed in either the star or lever drag model.
FF
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Barry,
The best thing to do is just go by what Silverking says. He's fished 2/3's of the way around the world and has probably tested/reviewed more tackle than most of us have seen. Dave knows his stuff and he wouldn't lead you astray.
I'm not blowing smoke here, listen to the experts and you won't go wrong.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
grouperfever

Post by grouperfever »

I have been very happy with the Newell's I have. Switched two years ago after basically every Penn I had failed. Got a closet full of busted ones. It's sad. If you have one from ten years ago that is solid it might last forever. If you buy one today you will be LUCKY to get two years. No issues to date with the Newell's and we fish fairly often. Only thing you might not like switching from Penn is the lack of a level wind. The majority of nicer reels seem to not have this so it is unavoidable. Good luck.
WolfeMan
Site Sponsor

Post by WolfeMan »

NOW THEN! A related question. Once my TLD 20 arrives...what's the best, and most reasonably priced rod to accompany this reel? I was surprised at the variety of lengths available for "Boat Rods" or "Stand-up Rods"...5'6", 6'0", 6'6", 7'0"...line weight from 15-50 lbs, lure weight from 1 to 12 ounces...

Then there's line...I'm thinking a hundred or so yards of mono as a backer then braid on top, probably 100 lb power-pro.

Suggestions?

Thanks Barry, for letting me hijack your thread.