Suggestions for a bottom fishing reel??

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

EddieJoe

Re: Suggestions for a bottom fishing reel??

Post by EddieJoe »

WolfeMan wrote:BMan, I went with the TLD 20. I fished with a TLD 20 with Dasher and his father-in-law in Panama City and I hauled up the boat-record gag grouper out of 80 feet, no problem...so I dont know about it not being a "lock down" bottom rig. It sure locked down on all the grouper and snapper we caught that day. Plus it is plenty versatile to troll with, like we did that day.

I am far from an expert though...but I looked at a ton of options before deciding on the TLD20. Your mileage may vary...
Main reason I don't use a TLD for a bottom reel is I don't care for lever drags for bottom fishing, and the TLD series was designed for "light trolling", with a max drag of 17-23 lbs. Usually plenty, but when maxed it puts a lot of force on the spool, which is not heavy duty. It's light and handles nicely, though, just not for me when bottom fishing.

To each their own.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

WolfeMan wrote:..what's the best, and most reasonably priced rod to accompany this reel? I was surprised at the variety of lengths available for "Boat Rods" or "Stand-up Rods"...5'6", 6'0", 6'6", 7'0"...line weight from 15-50 lbs, lure weight from 1 to 12 ounces...

I know a guy
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
WolfeMan
Site Sponsor

Post by WolfeMan »

Details, man!

Post by big bend gyrene »

His name is... Reel Cowboy. :-) salute1
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
grouperfever

Post by grouperfever »

Wolfeman,

A good rod is twice as hard to pick for me as a reel. I wish I had a good suggestion but I don't. As far as the line goes, 100lb powerpro is stout. I put 65lb powerpro on my Newell backed with mono two years ago and haven't been broken off or cut once in the harshest of conditions. 100lb might be overkill. That being said, nobody wants to go out there and get beat so go with what you are comfortable with. Good luck.
DWilliams

Post by DWilliams »

I started out with Penn 3/0 the red ones with the high speed ratio and soon found out maintaining those were a pain. The new penns senators use sheet metal type screws instead of the old brass inserts and will strip out. Even tried a couple of Diawas that look like penn senators. They were a little better quality but still succumbed to the salt water. Bought a couple of shimano tlds for trolling, but the graphite body and spool seem a little light for heavy offshore bottom fishing. Those are low maintenance and great reels. Was lucky enough to find a Shimano Torsa 30 in 90' of water in the keys. Took it apart, let it soak in vinegar for two days, knocked the barnacles off it and it is a cadillac. It will hold 40# of drag by the specs. I prefer the lever over a star because of the difference in drag washer size. I'd save up for it. The torsa is lifetime reel. It has two holes in the bottom to give it a shot of oil and that is all the maintenance it needs besides the quick freshwater rinse. That is after 4 years of good use. I'd stick with Shimano. I have heard good things about Okuma but no experience with them. Lots of choices good luck.
cairobass

Post by cairobass »

Shimano has hands down the best OVER the counter warranty service. You cannot beat the action-light weight blank- strength and price. It just cant be done.
WolfeMan
Site Sponsor

Post by WolfeMan »

I've been talked into the Torium. :-D
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Some recent info...

World Class Salt Water Fishing Reels. Newell Reels are the result of thousands of hours of designing, prototyping, lab testing and field testing. All Newell reels are made from light weight graphite composite resin and stainless steel, making them the lightest, most corrosion and electrolysis free reels manufactured. Fishermen can enjoy catching larger fish on lighter tackle.

Newell is currently re-tooling their factory. Newell Reels will be unavailable until further notice.

E-Mail Us to criticize this site, request products, and offer comments.

For Product Information, Questions, or To Place A Phone Order, Call Us Toll Free @ 1-888-810-7283
Ranaman

Post by Ranaman »

Saltist Black gold is on sale at Cabellas putting most models under $200
Breambuster

Post by Breambuster »

Listen to EddieJoe as he has provided the most accurate info. But frankly, you're asking a wide open question. It's like asking which club should I pick now that I'm picking up golfing. So, its not surprising that what you get thus far are all over the place - the suggestions posted are from specific circumstances based on the responder's experience. What you need to do is first ask yourself what type of water are you most likely to fish in. If its within 20 miles in the gulf where its mostly sponge bottoms and in less than 100-120' water, a medium set up would be sufficient. But if you often venture out to 150 plus foot of water or fish wrecks or high ledges, I would make sure to have a heavier set up because the Torium and other similar high speed reels will just set yourself up for disappointment. And like EJ, I also have owned most of the above mentioned reels.
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

Breambuster wrote:Listen to EddieJoe as he has provided the most accurate info. But frankly, you're asking a wide open question. It's like asking which club should I pick now that I'm picking up golfing. So, its not surprising that what you get thus far are all over the place - the suggestions posted are from specific circumstances based on the responder's experience. What you need to do is first ask yourself what type of water are you most likely to fish in. If its within 20 miles in the gulf where its mostly sponge bottoms and in less than 100-120' water, a medium set up would be sufficient. But if you often venture out to 150 plus foot of water or fish wrecks or high ledges, I would make sure to have a heavier set up because the Torium and other similar high speed reels will just set yourself up for disappointment. And like EJ, I also have owned most of the above mentioned reels.
Yes, it's like asking what's the best pickup truck. Depends on what you like, really. Your comment on where you fish does make some difference, although not as much as I used to think. In my case, I rarely go deeper than 75' (only if someone else takes me do I go deeper) in my boat, so a lighter, handier outfit suits me and my personal preference, although even in deeper water with bigger fish I hold my own. Also, I have yet to have a grouper and/or snapper that is so large that it really challenges my tackle, other than a goliath now and then that just goes where it wants to go no matter what I do. I have also been fishing for grouper here in the Gulf for 30 years, and probably 50 years in Florida altogether. In them olden days, we used 6/0 Senators and 80 lb test mono with broomstick rods but over time I have sized my tackle down big time. Some of this is due to advances in technology, and some is due to me getting older and gaining a different outlook. I just don't like holding a huge rod and reel all day when I can catch the same fish with a small, light rig. To me, 80 or 100 lb powerpro (or mono) as main line, for example, is way over board. I sized down to 30 lb mono and/or 50 lb powerpro, and nothing has gotten away so far. In fact, it's really hard to break that line, period. Couple that with the stupid bag limits in place now and I want to have as much fun as possible when I catch my few grouper and snapper. And, unless I happen to hook a big shark I am usually just using the same 50 yards of line over and over again up and down. As a result, big line capacity reels don't make any sense to me, either. Sizing down every year. But, you know, that's just me. You guys do your own thing, and that is what makes fishing fun.
Catchem up. EJ