St. Marks 7/22 - scallops

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

imups

St. Marks 7/22 - scallops

Post by imups »

Hey everyone,
Went out to St Marks looking for scallops today. Was told they were deep and scarce. Looked deep first, found nada. Went in to about 4-5 feet, crystal clear, found em. Not as plentiful as years past but in good quantity. 30 minute dip and came back with about 1/2 gallon (in shell). After getting 1/2 of our limit, tide was down and we went looking deep again. Went to about 7 feet, also clear and they were there. Actually better than the shallower areas, picked up the rest of our limit in 30 minutes. They seem to be pretty big this year, only a few small ones. After limiting, went to mess around with the poles but could only catch trash. Got inspected by FWC, easy inspection, do they ever smile? :-D Good luck scalloping this weekend and leave some for me for next time...

Anyone have an update on St Joe Bay? Would like to go there next week...
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Re: St. Marks 7/22 - scallops

Post by lonesouth »

Thanks for the report!
850-273-8818
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

do they ever smile? I think their handbook forbids it !!!
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

YEP, they do, but generally, only if you smile and be friendly first :wink: :-D :beer: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

wevans wrote:YEP, they do, but generally, only if you smile and be friendly first :wink: :-D :beer: :beer:

Only time I seen one smile, he was writing a citation to a smart aleck and no, it weren't me.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
filetandrelease

Post by filetandrelease »

Anyone have an update on St Joe Bay? Would like to go there next week...[/quote]

Was down at St. Joe a couple days ago caught a few fish, but scallops were everywhere.
imups

Post by imups »

Thanks for the update filetandrelease, hope to go there on Saturday!

My dream job is FWC officer on ocean patrol, just have to convince the wife it's worth the 50% paycut... You could spot me easily, I'd be the one who's smiling :-D
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

We went early yesterday to get a spot and it rained for a while first thing then all we could see were jellyfish :( We gave up and went to Riverside Cafe
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Hammer wrote: We gave up and went to Riverside Cafe
How was the food at Riverside? Last time we ate there it wasnt so great :smt011
Stay Thirsty My Friends
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

Not impressed with the food but it's a neat place to cafe cruise
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

We went Sunday outta SM and got our limit of 10 gallons :thumbup: most of em came from 5 to 6 foot of water and where bigguns :thumbup: :thumbup: we saw a few jellyfish when we go out there around 10:30, a friend who went out at daylight got eat up by them and none of his familly would get in the water with him because of them :smt009 so I guess that later is better for them buggers :-D :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Rainman
Site Sponsor

Post by Rainman »

We got close to a three person limit out of St. Marks yesterday as well. Started out deep, inside the stake line a about a quarter mile or so. We found quite a few but the jelly fish were just to bad. We moved in another mile or so into shallower water and the jelly fish were not around and we finished out the limit, it took several moves to get em all though. I've found that the jelly's are a little deeper so if you keep moving you can find placed that aren't so bad. They also "appear" to be hanging near the grass lines so stay away from those as well.
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

Got 5 gallons on saturday, took about 4 hours with 3 people. Jellyfish were in the deeper water, scallops were better in the shallower area, 4-5'

850-273-8818
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

imups wrote:Thanks for the update filetandrelease, hope to go there on Saturday!

My dream job is FWC officer on ocean patrol, just have to convince the wife it's worth the 50% paycut... You could spot me easily, I'd be the one who's smiling :-D
They will permanently wipe the smile off of your face at the training camps! :smt005
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!