Is the "pee water" temp reflective of head/cyl temp?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

boomhauer

Is the "pee water" temp reflective of head/cyl temp?

Post by boomhauer »

I have a 1988 yamaha 115 which runs like a top, but I unplugged the overheating alarm secondary to shorts making it alarm falsely and frequently....very annoying. Since the motor is very old, I figure it's worth the risk. I do check the "peeer" often.

While running on the hose today, I noticed the water from the peeer was much cooler than the water coming out of the prop hub. Is the water temp from the peeer representative of the water coming out from cooling the heads.....?
TLB2

Re: Is the "pee water" temp reflective of head/cyl temp?

Post by TLB2 »

Prop hub is the exhaust port, its going to be hot
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

IF THE PEER IS COOL , RUN ER ON.
PA
FUTCHCAIRO
seastrike

Post by seastrike »

I have a 1995 115 Yamaha that has the same exact issue but with mine if I let it idle for 30 seconds the alarm would turn off. Water from pee'er never gets hot. After that, I could runn all day long without it going off. Just like yours, it seemes to be in the late summer this happens. Last year had the pump and impeller replaced...not it. This spring...replaced both thermostats...not it. I mix my own oil and even mixed it a little rich last week but I was just pizzing in the wind on that one. Some times it happens in the morning, sometimes in the afternoon, sometimes 4 times in a full day and sometimes once. Driving me nuts!

I actually have someone looking at it today and he's pretty sure he knows what it is and I'll give you a report when he finishes up. He said it a very simple fix....but we all know how that goes ($400 later) LOL
seastrike

Post by seastrike »

Just got a report on the alarm issue. It was in the pressure releif valve...bad grommet. Charged me $60 (he even replaced some corroded connectors on a few switched for free!)
Great guy..honest and goes above and beyond what I expect every time.
If your interested, here's his number:

Sean
850-570-9393
You can bring it to him or he will come to you.