Pitting on an aluminmum hull

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

rocket
Site Sponsor

Pitting on an aluminmum hull

Post by rocket »

Got some pitting taking place on my Duracraft hull. Nothing serious but I'm gonna nip in the bud. Will bondo work or is Marine Tex the go to for getting this fixed??
Stay Thirsty My Friends
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Re: Pitting on an aluminmum hull

Post by Barhopr »

I could be a Mr. Smarty Pants and tell you to get a fiberglass boat to fix that problem.....but I wont. :wink:
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

BONDO WORKS FINE, PUT THREE COATS OF PAINT AFTER THE BONDO HAS DRIED SEVERAL DAYS.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
ugadawg
Site Sponsor

Post by ugadawg »

Using a zinc anode on the boat may be able to prevent pitting in the future. Keep us updated on what you use. I have a little pitting in my boat. I have used JB Weld in the past to stop leaks from pits, and while the leaks have stopped, I'm not sure how long the JB Weld will hold up for.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

All the above. Also, determine the cause "on my G3, the water was getting trapped in the transome by the flotation foam and eating it's way out" :hammer: Keep the anodes replaced on the engine also "every few years replace all of them"!! :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

Good friend of mine owns a few Expresses and had some pitting occur where the hull rests on the bunks. He was told that there is chemical I the treated wood that was the culprit. Easy fix was to place narrow plastic strips down the length of each bunk.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

captkeyser wrote:Good friend of mine owns a few Expresses and had some pitting occur where the hull rests on the bunks. He was told that there is chemical I the treated wood that was the culprit. Easy fix was to place narrow plastic strips down the length of each bunk.
got the bunk slicks for my Xpress in February. Glad to hear this may help prevent pitting; it certainly made loading/unloading easier :D
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Barhopr wrote:I could be a Mr. Smarty Pants and tell you to get a fiberglass boat to fix that problem.....but I wont. :wink:
Follow me out of the Aucilla with that pretty skiff of yours & you will understand why fiberglass wont work :-D
Stay Thirsty My Friends
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

FUTCHCAIRO wrote:BONDO WORKS FINE, PUT THREE COATS OF PAINT AFTER THE BONDO HAS DRIED SEVERAL DAYS.
PA
SEMPER FI
Thanks PA...thats what I needed to know :thumbup: :thumbup:
Stay Thirsty My Friends
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

captkeyser wrote:Good friend of mine owns a few Expresses and had some pitting occur where the hull rests on the bunks. He was told that there is chemical I the treated wood that was the culprit. Easy fix was to place narrow plastic strips down the length of each bunk.
Picked some of these up from Waymond at Jacks Boats last week. He told me the same thing.
Stay Thirsty My Friends