Biggest Rack I've Ever Seen......On a Gator

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

reelhandy
Site Sponsor

Biggest Rack I've Ever Seen......On a Gator

Post by reelhandy »

Took this photo at the refuge last week near the lighthouse. Two good sized gators were fighting for possession. This guy was the bigger of the two and ended up with the prize. I'm not expert on deer racks, but seeing as that gator was at least 9' - 10' I'm thinking that rack had to have been from a pretty big buck. The battle over what was left of that buck was one of the coolest things I've ever seen.
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Re: Biggest Rack I've Ever Seen......On a Gator

Post by Redbelly »

Just....WOW!
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Redbelly wrote:Just....WOW!
Team Jolly Mon
reelhandy
Site Sponsor

Post by reelhandy »

Here are a couple more pics that show the 2 gators going at it.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Great shots. Thanks for sharing them.
I love seeing stuff I have never seen before. That is one of the things that keeps me getting out on the water.
qoutrage
Site Sponsor

Post by qoutrage »

Cool! :lick: :thumbup:
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

Good pictures. I bet that was interesting to watch. Makes you wonder how the deer ended up in there.

I've never seen gators fight in the wild but did see two very large ones tie up at the Jacksonville Zoo this summer. They were up on the bank and one attacked the other, biting it on the tail and just in front of the hind leg. The sound of the jaws snapping down and the bony scales on it's back cracking were amazing to hear and see.
smeseroll
Site Sponsor

Post by smeseroll »

Awesome pictures.

@Rhettley - I came across this video the other day of two gators fighting on a golf course in Orlando. Crazy stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzeifCQLRj4[/video]
arichardh09

Post by arichardh09 »

that video is actually in tampa at a golf course called the nine eagles i fish in there all the time there are some big gators in there.....they captured a 14 footer two summers ago
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Guess he didn't want him playing through.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Dude must not know that gators can run over 30mph and couldda caught his butt in a few seconds!! :smt011
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Was that Stoney Bayou Pond #2? Vegetation looks similar. It's getting tougher to wade there lately, cuz the water has dropped lots and the gators are getting tired of being cooped up in close proximity. Topwater fishing now is hopeless...gators there hone in on chug bugs like zombies drawn to fresh brains.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

zombies drawn to fresh brains.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
reelhandy
Site Sponsor

Post by reelhandy »

GaryDroze wrote:Was that Stoney Bayou Pond #2? Vegetation looks similar. It's getting tougher to wade there lately, cuz the water has dropped lots and the gators are getting tired of being cooped up in close proximity. Topwater fishing now is hopeless...gators there hone in on chug bugs like zombies drawn to fresh brains.
I'm pretty sure it's called the Headquarters Pond. We were up on a platform looking out over it. It didn't seem to have a lot of water, and I wouldn't think anyone in their right mind would want to wade it. It was pretty much all vegetation, in fact the only bit of open water in the pond was covered with duck weed. Once the ruckus over the deer started other gators started moving around slowly making their way towards the action. There were more then a few big ones in there, and they all looked hungry to me.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Ah yes. Some biggies in there. Used to be okay for bass, but the duckweed has indeed taken over. Only place on the Refuge I've seen larger gators is the northern border levee of Stoney Bayou Pond #2, about 2mi east of Lighthouse Rd. Wadefishing before dawn/after dusk there = death wish.