Need scoop on fishing quarter moon!!!

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

big bend gyrene

Need scoop on fishing quarter moon!!!

Post by big bend gyrene »

Those who've fished with me know my game is targeting cobia (and reds) at inshore and midshore spots late spring, summer, and early fall, and doing so on stronger spring tides of new and full moons. Have had great luck with out-of-state guests when I've invited them on new/full moon dates.

For the most part I've NOT gone out on quarter moons.

Alas, my lil' bro and nephew are coming down from Indiana next week and due to their schedule we have no choice but to fish the third quarter waning moon.

Won't be targeting cobes, but instead if windy inshore reds and if calm offshore grouper. Fishing Oct 20th and 21st, Good Lord willing, and on those days it's high tide around sunrise with water flowing out until lows hit in early afternoon. Thinking about quick runs to a few oyster bars first thing in morning to see if the reds are hunting on top of the submerged bars, then heading offshore mid-morning to troll/drift some gag territory until the low tides hit.

Smart game plan??? Anybody recommend plan modifications? NOT looking for any spot intel unless anyone has a strong opinion based on time of year. Just BADLY want to put my six year old nephew on a few good fish and if we don't have luck I don't want it to be due to lack of planning effort on my part. :thumbup: :beer:
BBG salute1
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Re: Need scoop on fishing quarter moon!!!

Post by fishinfool »

Sounds like a good plan to me. Personally I would not even bother going offshore for Grouper. The Reds are enough for me. But that is why they make chocolate AND vanilla.
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Six years old? :smt017 I'm thinking rockbass. :smt045
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
Charlie2

Post by Charlie2 »

Do a Google on Tides and their affect on fishing and I think that you'll find your answer. Happy Fishing C2
fly n fish

Post by fly n fish »

I recommend that you GO when and as often as you can. Check on all that stuff when you get home. Just my thoughts...
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

If the crescent moon will hold water you will catch fish. When the moon turns over and will not hold water,the fish stop biting.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

Jumptrout51 wrote:If the crescent moon will hold water you will catch fish. When the moon turns over and will not hold water,the fish stop biting.
What he said. :thumbup:
big bend gyrene

Jumptrout51 wrote:
If I'm looking at Google Sky map properly, just have to say, "Pfft!" :smt019

And just joking, JT and Reelbad, actually appreciate the wisdom for future reference. :thumbup: :beer: Dates for this trip were totally outside my control, so just will have to make the best of them even if it's just river sight seeing with a few trash fish thrown in.

Fly N Fish, problem in general is I don't get too many dates to go so I do lots of studying in advance to make the best of them. Like to think the study has served me relatively well. Let those who've seen my reports over the years judge that last sentence. ;-)

Charlie2, actually had already done the google searches and truthfully most speak to optimizing catches around new / full moon spring tides.

Even did some rather specific searches on this board, and only found an ancient thread with most folks cursing quarter moons and with Chalk the lone wolf saying he preferred 'em. Have been wondering if he might chime in on this one to say why. :-D
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
big bend gyrene

Harmsway wrote:Six years old? :smt017 I'm thinking rockbass. :smt045
Darn good idea, Harmsway. Even if we hit the grouper grounds I want to check out, think I'll modify the plan to stop first at some prime seabass spots! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

big bend gyrene wrote:
Harmsway wrote:Six years old? :smt017 I'm thinking rockbass. :smt045
Darn good idea, Harmsway. Even if we hit the grouper grounds I want to check out, think I'll modify the plan to stop first at some prime seabass spots! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Great ideas for the young anglers, and for any other visitors!

The sea bass/grunt fishing sure worked for me. My Grandchildren (and family) visited in late summer and I took them to a "close" rocky spot in about 45' of water. I had several casting outfits (bass sized) rigged with "chicken rigs" using 3/0 hooks, long shanked (it makes unhooking easier). I anchored up and baited the hooks with squid, and my son and I each took a youngster to aid. As soon as the rigs got to the bottom, bites and hookups were instant. The kids reeled fish in as long as we would stay, and their smiles were huge. Our's were too. We also managed a legal scamp (how I don't know) and several just sublegal red grouper, plus a spanish mack. The kids were talking about it for the entire stay.

Right now, there are acres of bait (mullet, menhaden, pilchards, shrimp) getting pounded inshore from Apalach to Alligator Point. Pelicans, gulls, terns, osprey (even two eagles I saw) are hitting them as the fish gorge themselves. Macks, blues, trout, ladies, etc. are getting fat on them. Offshore, I caught little tunny and gags instantly when I dropped the stretch 30s, and bottom fishing was going, too. You should have a great time.
EJ