Keaton Beach help

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

tabb

Keaton Beach help

Post by tabb »

Heading down this weekend and have never fished there. I usually fish out of Econfina.
Anything I need to know like dangerous areas and where to fish would be helpful.
Taking the family so need to keep them in some fish or wildlife.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Re: Keaton Beach help

Post by DixieReb »

There aren't that many dangerous areas at Keaton, providing you have enough water in the canal and stay in the marked channel going out. There are a couple of sand bars close to the first bend in the channel you have to watch out for, you can ususally see them going out. As far as fishing, the area out from the last channel marker has been good and past the Dekle bird rack in 4-5 ft. water should be good right now.Try to find some spotty bottom. I usually fish live pinfish under a CT rig and fish straight jigs with gulp. Good luck if you go, let us know how it went.
Yours in the South
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Dixiereb is right about the channel. Kind of a sharp "S" curve kind of right off. My first trip I got out of the channel into mud and have seen others do the same. Pulled two boats out. I do as DixieReb does and if nothing is happening go to Spring Warrior and even Rock Island. Stopping along the way on grassie spotty bottoms. Just north of the bird rack is always a good spot if the tide is right.

Gooc Luck!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
Spot on

Post by Spot on »

as the ones above me posted stay in the channel and you will be fine, as for the fishing if you go north to sw it will usally be stained water and rock and oyster bars. If you go south towatrd big grass it will be clear and soft bottom, its just what you want to fish. I went north Friday with very little luck, you can see my post (keaton 9-30). You also have 9 mile sand bar south if you just want to keep the family on fish there is usally somthing out there crusing the sand bar.

good luck
tabb

Post by tabb »

Did not make it to Keaton's last weekend had to cancel. Going to Econfina in the morning. Any reports from that area? Going to get there are an 1 1/2 before low tide of 0.3. Will that be enough water to get out? Wind is going to be out of NE.