St. Marks "Sore Arms" 12-16-11

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Jhults11

St. Marks "Sore Arms" 12-16-11

Post by Jhults11 »

Dan, Doug and I decided to head offshore today. We pushed away from Shields in st marks and went hunting for live baits. We fished for em for and hour and managed about 3 dozen. After that we headed out in search of some red grouper. The first two stops we put 5 keeper Gags in the boat between 24 and 28 inches. Dont you love throwing them back! :smt011 Couldnt manage a Red grouper so we said the heck with it and went to the AJ hole and wore their azzez out for 3 hours. Between doug, myself, and dan...we caught 17 Amberjack beetween 20 and 35 pounds. After we had enouth beak breaking fun with the AJs we headed in seeing that it was getting late but stopped on one more grouper spot on the way in. We caugth 4 more gags and finally a keeper red grouper off of that spot. I just dont get it, they raised the red grouper limit to 4 a piece but keep gags close all year long and all we caught were gags. We only fished 4 grouper holes not even trying for a total of mabey two hours and caught 9 keeper gags, with dead bait only (saved the livees fro AJs) and still caught that many. I just dont understand :o . Oh and by the way on one spot, doug caught an 18 pound red snapper.....he had to go back too :smt010 . Anyways we had a blast and cant do it again.
Final tally:
17 AJs to 35lbs
9 Keeper Gags to 28"
1 Keeper Red @ 22"
1 18lb Red Snapper
12 big Sea Bass
A blast was had by all.....
Doug and the giant Red Snapper
The Ajs
More AJs
Last edited by Jhults11 on December 17th, 2011, 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Re: St. Marks 12-16-11

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Great report! Thanks for sharing.
Team Jolly Mon
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Re: St. Marks "Sore Arms" 12-16-11

Post by tallykenj »

Wow! Those are some great looking fish. How deep did you have to go to get them? Was the water smooth? I'd love to catch some like that (keepers, of course).
The Back Porch
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Wow, those AJ's look like they were fun!
Jhults11

Post by Jhults11 »

TKJ: We had a weather window of calm seas so we made the run....about 50 miles from the lighthouse to the AJ hole. Its a big structure in about 90 feet....they were def chewing...you really have to have a flat day to make a run like that in an 18 foot boat but it's possible...gotta pick ur days!
"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau
Carlabear

Post by Carlabear »

Is that the crane?
Jhults11

Post by Jhults11 »

Is what or who the "crane"?
Carlabear

Post by Carlabear »

I 've got the AJ hole number and some people also consider it the crane or very close to it .
We rarely anchor on it but fish around it. Its about 38 miles southwest of econfina about 210 out of Econfina. :)
Jhults11

Post by Jhults11 »

Just an area my friend Dan had. I'm not sure if it's also called the "crane"? It should be called the azz kicker cause im still sore today!!
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I don't think you want to take the pontoon boat that far tkj. Atta boy Jordan, way to get after em. Let me know when to stop by and pick up some fish dip.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Ranaman

Post by Ranaman »

Nice job guys an great report glad to see someone getting out there!! WAY out there, Jordan that''s more like 60 miles :wink:
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Sweet! :smt040
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.