Alligator Point 6/12/04

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fish finder
Site Sponsor

Alligator Point 6/12/04

Post by fish finder »

I had the pleasure of taking a fine fisherman, Steve, and a couple of his buddies, Randy and Billy, down from his hometown in Maryland out for a day of grouper fishing on Saturday. After dropping the float plan off at the marina, it was off to D. I. Reef to load up on some live bait for the trip. With that done we headed to the first hole with the anticipation of putting some grouper in the box early and then heading on out for some AJ's and Snapper. As luck would have it, the raw water pump on the starboard engine which the mechanic told me would be OK for the weekend until he could get one put in, WAS NOT!:evil: Long story-short, Cuda"B" ran hot only about 7 miles out. Well, I gave the guys the option of limping back and rescheduling or fishing the general area we were in and then limping back. They wanted to fish so we made the best of it. We stayed within sight of Dog Island, about 45ft with the water temp ranging from 82 in the AM to about 85 in the pm. The seas were nice, but it got very hot around lunch. There was still alot of the grass/algee in the water so our trolling efforts were unsuccessful. We bottom fished the area with primarily live bait and managed to put 7 keepers in the box. Had plenty of shorts and Steve even let a nice keeper go at boatside, by accident. :o All in all it was a nice day under the circumstances. I could only make about 9kts coming in so it took a couple of hours to get back at the dock. Thanks to Steve, Randy and Billy for making the best of a frustrating situation. Their next trip will be better. ;-) Ya gotta love it.
Capt. Jay
Second Chance
Site Sponsor

Post by Second Chance »

Sounds like you made the best of a bad situation, still caught fish and had a good day on the water.Good job Capt. Jay :thumbup:
GeneO.
Site Sponsor

Post by GeneO. »

Sorry to here about your engine trouble. I can relate to that exact frustration. Glad you caught some fish though. :beer: :beer:

Let me know if you're planning to reschedule the overnighter as mines 100% now and ready to go. :thumbup:
Tight Lines and Screamin Drag

http://members.fishingworks.com/gosteen/
Sea Fox
Site Sponsor

Post by Sea Fox »

Good report Capt. Jay, we worked hard that day for about the same fish you got, And dido on the overnighter. SF. 8)
DDGold

Bad Day???

Post by DDGold »

Jeeeeesh,, well, I guess for us unfortunates, a bad day for you would be one helluva day for us if we caught those babies! Good report Jay. :lick: