fishing for reds during feb...

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

hewes15

fishing for reds during feb...

Post by hewes15 »

hey everyone...new to the forum, but was curious last feb when i was fishing with my boat in apalach i dealt with horrible fog and made fishing pretty difficult. is this something that happens often during this time?? do yall have any tips for catching reds during this funky weather? i have had success with gulps and spoons..always looking for others opinions...thanks!!!!
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: fishing for reds during feb...

Post by silverking »

Yes, dense sea fog is very common during the winter, especially with the mild temperatures we've been experiencing.

Add DOA 5.5 CAL jerk baits (New Penny, Glow and Stark Naked) to your arsenal and the CAL shad tails in Stark Naked and Arkansas Shad with a light jig head or rigged with a spinner blade. Mud minnows are a big part of the reds' diet in the winter months. They also eat worms. A good fake is the Al Gag's 4-inch Eels rigged with a 1/8-ounce jig head (comes with the tails). Shields Marina now carries them. Trout slurp 'em down, too. And of course, Aqua Dream/Capt. Mike's spoons are great redfish lures and I've caught some quality trout on them also. I do scale down to 1/4-ounce version in the winter to match the hatch. A noisy topwater or suspending plugs can also be effective.

As far as any other tips, there probably won't be many more coming until after the club tourney Saturday. :wink:

You should go to the club meeting Thursday at Beef's, join and then fish the tournament Saturday at St. Marks. Best way to learn is go out on the water and experiment.
Skeeter-Bite
Site Sponsor

Post by Skeeter-Bite »

Come on down!
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

wish you guys were closer to gansville, or maybe gainsville was closer to you
hewes15

Post by hewes15 »

thanku so much for the info...im gonna try to get more involved down yalls way..it just sucks cuz i have a lovely 4.5 hr drive each time with my boat when i come down, but starting march ill be making the trips...which fishing club are u talking about..is there a way for me to get some more info???
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Find the fishing club at;
nfgfc.org
and
north florida gulf fishing club/facebook
WHOSE FISH IS IT?