New to the Area.

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

kovac030

New to the Area.

Post by kovac030 »

Hey new to the area Sophmore here at FSU. Looking to get out on Saint Marks next weekend for some reds hopefully if not then trout. Been reading to run up river from Shields. Any tips or tricks for the area (considering taking out the fly rod as well). Also if anyone knows some tarpon spots that would be GREAT! Thanks.
woopty
Site Sponsor

Re: New to the Area.

Post by woopty »

Welcome to paradise!
This area nurtures some great fishing.
Fish are up in the rivers, creeks, and the mouths of the creeks on the flats, depending on the tide.
If you go east from the lighthouse, be vary wary of rocks.
Tarpon masses start to show up here in May, although I have heard of resident tarpon around.
Off Alligator Point and the FSU Marine Lab are ate up with them in the summer.
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com
kovac030

Post by kovac030 »

Its going to be hard to compete with south Florida.
You guys throw and Badonk a donks for reds? Or mainly use your gulp?
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

I can see where the refuge would be hard to compete with s.fla. No donks and Gulps at 2:30 on tournament day, if needed
Mister Mullet

Post by Mister Mullet »

Where in South Florida?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Let's see...snook and bonefish= plus

Traffic, crime, congestion, and damn Yankees= It doesn't even come close to being worth it.

I'll take our backwoods marsh and simple fisheries any day.

Oh, and by the way, I lived in Hell for a couple years so I'm speaking from experience.
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

kovac030 wrote:Its going to be hard to compete with south Florida.
You guys throw and Badonk a donks for reds? Or mainly use your gulp?
Kovac030, grew up with father having a fishing shack on North Captiva and with us being able to easily boat to fish Redfish Pass, Captiva Pass, and Boca Grande Pass. Arguably more predictable tarpon fishing, but wouldn't trade them for our quite varied waters... awesome inshore fishing here and travel just west a bit and you get to good deep waters pretty easily too. If you don't find the tarpon, just hunt down birdracks, towers, and our area's artificial reefs and the cobia fishing is solid... 'nuff said, maybe too much said. ;)
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
kirt

Post by kirt »

silverking wrote:Let's see...snook and bonefish= plus

Traffic, crime, congestion, and damn Yankees= It doesn't even come close to being worth it.

I'll take our backwoods marsh and simple fisheries any day.

Oh, and by the way, I lived in Hell for a couple years so I'm speaking from experience.

Amen, Same here, lived in Tampa for 3 years and hated the rat race. Loved fishing the everglades though but would not live there again.
kovac030

Post by kovac030 »

Haha I am from Fort Lauderdale work at the Bass Pro Shops their in the fishing Department.
It's hard to compete with the tarpon fishing I meant and love bass fishing in the glades (My favorite)

But yes you all correctly stated what the rest of South Florida is. HELL. Wanted to shoot myself in high school. I'll take Alligator Point over South Beach any day. Shame to see them build those modern Condos by the marina though. I like the old school wood homes.

Saw the fly fishing board as well. Hoping to take some nice trout on fly. Anyway going to try and get out next weekend fish up river like you all suggested. You all use swimbaits up here for the reds?
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

But then, there are a pile of GAFF girls down ther also !! :D
kovac030

Post by kovac030 »

Gulf Coast: True, but I go to Florida State. Have you seen the girls on that campus? my neck hurts from looking around so much. LMAO
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

Grew up in Clearwater. Fishing was good but rest of living there sucks once you grow up & get past "party age". This is the place to be for an outdoorsman.

Hey Gulf Coast, since you brought up Gaff Girls. One of them moved a couple of doors down from me not long ago. Call me & tell you which one so you can look her up.
arichardh09

Post by arichardh09 »

kovac030 wrote:Gulf Coast: True, but I go to Florida State. Have you seen the girls on that campus? my neck hurts from looking around so much. LMAO
i know what you mean man i have a sore neck everyday of the week lol