Looking for a 22 or 23 pitch Tempest Prop

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

kirt

Looking for a 22 or 23 pitch Tempest Prop

Post by kirt »

I am looking for a 22 or 23 Used tempest prop. I want a used one as I am just trying them out to see if they will work.

Thanks
tin can
Site Sponsor

Re: Looking for a 22 or 23 pitch Tempest Prop

Post by tin can »

What are you putting it on?
What was I supposed to do today?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Check with your dealer. Many have props they'll loan for testing. Run the boat with a normal load in various conditions to see which one performs best and then buy it.
kirt

Post by kirt »

I have exausted all the dealers in my area. I have tried several props and will be trying a 4 blade power tech OFX 21p this weekend. It is going on an action craft 1720 and I just put a Mercury 150 four stroke on it. I have tried the following props. Mercury Laser 2 - 23p, Mercury Revolution - 19(I knew this would be too low), Yamaha 23p(dont know model), mercury Vengeance - 21p, and a Mercry Fury 24p. I have been told by a few people that have either yamaha 4 stroke 150's or Mercury optimax 150's that the Tempest 23 seems to perform the best all around as far as 3 blade goes. May just have to buy off Ebay and resell.

Thanks for the advice
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Kirt, I ran a 25" Mercury Tempest 3 blade on my 1890 Action Craft with a ProV 200. The Tempest ran best with the plastic vent hole reducers completely out for max holeshot. I tried a couple of other props including a 4 blade and found this to be the best combo of holeshot, speed, and it even performed well at slow speed with the tabs down and the jackplate all the way up for tip toeing into the shallow stuff.
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I ran a 1720 AC (fiberglass, not the Kevlar layup) before the Bayshore. It had a 150 Mercury EFI mounted on a Bob's jackplate. That engine was a little lighter than your four-stroke, but I was running a four-blade Mercury Trophy SS prop. Can remember the pitch, but 21 or 22 sounds about right. With this set-up I had a great hole shot and sure handling. Never broke 70 mph, but I did make 69 and some change. It was a screamer. Sucked the gas, though. :D Great all-around skiff, the best AC built, IMO.
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Second best they built for sure. :)
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

:lol: Figured that would get a rise out of you, Rock.

Good luck with dialing in your prop, Kirt. Let's us know what you end up with.
kirt

Post by kirt »

Right now the best I have gotten is 57 mph, was hoping for around 60 with decent holeshot. Yeh I have been a fan of them for a while, I used to have an 1890 and loved it. Kind if a toss up between it and the 1720 for me. For what I do the 1720 edges out the 1890 because it is easier to get around in shallow water without getting stuck. May have to try a trophy if I can come by one, I am having massive slip numbers on all props besides a Fury 24p(I am guessing because of the diameter and agressive cupping?)
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

kirt wrote: May have to try a trophy if I can come by one, I am having massive slip numbers on all props besides a Fury 24p(I am guessing because of the diameter and agressive cupping?)
Are you running a jack plate? Hydraulic or manual? Can you trim the motor all the way out without any bounce?

How many RPM with the Fury?

The Mercury Tempest and Trophy are the same design. The difference is 3 or 4 blades. You'll gain some hole shot with the trophy, but you'll lose a little top end.
What was I supposed to do today?