Kinda looks like a boat......

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Probably 6 inches...
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Kewl, you will have way more room. Alomost all of the Bateau designs have big motorwells, a jackplate really frees it up. :thumbup:
chugbug

Post by chugbug »

Lookin really good Chalk!
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

what's the draft gonna be for it? what hp will it be rated for?

looking to build myself a bigger boat, and a smaller pickup version for small ponds.
Got a site for plans? I like the looks of what your doing.
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Hogblind...draft is suppose to be around 6"..depends on how well you build it.....some over build or add multiple livewells which add weight and increase draft...It's rated at 70 hp, but several have put 115 hps and one 130 hp...It will do 40 mph with a 70hp, if built per the plans according to the designer...I rode in one with a 90 hp and we did 38 playing around....

I highly recommend build a small boat before tackling a project like mine, like a jon boat or small canoe. I didn't and wish I had.....It's not really expensive, but it ain't cheap either...I have about $2300 in what you see now, but that includes all the wood and fiberglass. I need some more epoxy, hardware, paint, trailer and motor to finish.....

http://www.boatplans-online.com/
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

$2300! wow! I just don't see that from the picture!

What's the wood you're using?

I have found a small one to build for starters. But will build a bigger one along the line of what you're doing.

Would you mind giving an account (approximate) of the materials so far?

Thanks......Redbelly (formerly hogblind)
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

I got deals on alot of the supplies, I'm a haggler (cheap :wink: )...If you ordered the plywood alone that I ordered today with shipping it would be $1727.80...so take that and add the fiberglass and other stuff and $2300 is pretty close

I am using BS1088 Meranti plywood.....

I ordered my fiberglass and wood from http://www.boatbuildercentral.com

Epoxy from http://www.uscomposites.com

This doesn't include the price of a circular saw, jig saw, router, palm sander and a belt sander and the materials used to build the strongback.

Materials needed still to date are more epoxy, paint, more fiberglass and more tools.

Not counting rigging supplies (electrical, fuel tank, lights, mooring, etc.), a trailer, trolling motor, outboard, jack plate, etc....
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

....and the list continues on and on....... :D

I have a cabinet shop so problem with the tools.

Is miranti a marine plywood? Why did you choose it? Could you use a less exspensive ply?
What model is it you are making?
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

From the Bateau site.

Do I have to use marine plywood? How about cheap plywood?
Written by Ryan
Monday, 15 December 2003

It depends on the boat and is indicated on the plans or at the study plans page. Some general guidelines: . For a small boat that does not stay in the water, inexpensive Lauan or other exterior plywood is just fine. . For a utilitarian style boat like our OD16-18 or our garveys, good exterior with no voids is a good choice. . For offshore going sailboats, fast planing power boats and for all boats that will stay in the water for more than 2 weeks at a time, we specify marine plywood. This is required for structural reasons mostly. Those are the minimum specifications. Compared to the total cost of the boat, the difference in cost between quality marine plywood and cheap plywood is small: less than 10%. Marine plywood like Okume or Meranti are the best choices: they have superior mechanical characteristics, bend easily and are easy to work with. Build with marine plywood to save many hours of work and obtain a much better looking boat with a higher resale value. A good compromise if plywood cost is an issue is to use marine plywood for all hull panels and exterior for the framing and inside.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Yes it's a type of Mahogany.....BS1088 is the one of the highest standards on plywood. There are no voids or patches in the layers, all veneers are solid ply's. If you use a cheaper grade you tend to spend more time fairing and working the wood to get it suitable to finish. They say it will check and split. I verified alot of information on woodenboat.com. I couldn't see spending my time and money on a lesser material and have it degrade and fail in a few years. A guy in Texas used Meranti on his hull and ACX (I think for the inside parts) he said he would never do that again.

On the flipside I know there are some that have built small jon boats and other types that have used a lesser wood...But remember small boat, small materials list, smaller cash.....This is a viable option if your unsure whether or not you like the hobby. Do not think this is cheaper than buying a boat, it isn't....But when you done it's your boat and you built it.....The very same boat I am building, made in Florida called a Knowles 16 is priced a $40,000, yes I said $40K...

Like I said earlier, build a small boat and test the water....

I will never use a lesser material than what I am using now..

I am building the Phantom 16 flats boat

Some sites to check out:
http://www.glenl.com
http://www.woodenboat.com
http://www.bateau2.com
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Thanks Chalk, makes sense to me. I am gonna check with my wood supplier today about the Meranti.
I just want to build a boat for the flats. I have a 15' alumnacraft, ok when it's calm, really good for freshwater.
I want longer and wider.

That phantom is a nice looking boat!

You live close to me, maybe i could ride up one day and look at your boat project?
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Anytime..come on....