Prop question

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

reelcatch

Prop question

Post by reelcatch »

I will start by saying I know that without the pitch on my current prop this is kind of an open ended question.

That being said I have a 24' Auqu Sport with a 225 Merc on it. I am looking at going to a used 5 blade Mercury Stainless Steel prop. The pitch on the new prop is 26 based on the numbers on the prop, however it is a High Five prop and the largest pitch I can find for them is 23.

The question is, " is this too high of a pitch"??? I know the best way is to put it in the water but I am trying to save that process if possable.
Any help would be great.

Jim
stick&stab

Re: Prop question

Post by stick&stab »

i had a difficult time finding a prop that would work best with my boat. none of the off the shelf props matched my application. i did lots of research. after running out of options, i contacted POWER TECH and spent 30 minutes on the phone with a tech guy. we were able to get a perfect match and the prop works great! best of all, if you buy direct from POWER TECH, the prop can be exchanged for a $50 handling fee. however, you will pay a little more than going through a dealer since they protect their vendors from being cut out of a sale. their phone number can be found online. good luck
woopty
Site Sponsor

Post by woopty »

I needed an 8 pitch ss prop...that's waaaaay off the shelf out behind the dumpster.
Power Tech had it. Great support.
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com
kirt

Post by kirt »

You can buy PT props from any Vendor and they can send them back for the 50.00. On your question it would seem that a 26 in five blade would be extremely over propped. I am not sure what model you have but I am assuming you have a deep v. A 26 pitch five blade would be a prop for a bass boat or light flats boat with a 225 merc. Even then It would be hard to turn for most boats with that motor.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

That's way too much prop for your boat. I don't think you want a high five anyway. That prop is designed for bass boats with hole shot problems.

I would think you're probably running a 17 or 19 pitch prop now. As for the Power Tech recommendation, they make about 3200 different props. I'm sure they can help you.
What was I supposed to do today?
reelcatch

Post by reelcatch »

Kirt and Tin Can you guys are right ont he money. I talked with my Merc mechanic and said eactly the same thing. That prop is for a bass boat.

Thanks for the help I knew I could count on the BBF crew!!!!!
reelcatch

Post by reelcatch »

OH and thanks for the Power Tech tip too I will be contacting them for my next prop.
kirt

Post by kirt »

FYI on power tech, I bought mine from Bobs Machine shop. You can call power tech and they will recommend a prop for you but if you buy direct they will charge you full retail. They are glad to help you choose and will tell you that you can save by buying from a dealer. They just dont give pricing other than retail because it would cut out their dealer network. You still get the same exchange and everything by buying from a dealer. For me it saved 200.00 by going through Bob's on an OFX4 prop.