Boating safety- stop up a leak

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Boating safety- stop up a leak

Post by Rhettley »

I saw this video and figured it was pretty cheap insurance. The video is an infomercial but looks like the stuff works. It does resemble the wax ring you put under toilet bowls but it is thinner and more workable. The site I found the link said West marine had it for under $12.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=888wQhRcmjQ[/video]
reelbad

Re: Boating safety- stop up a leak

Post by reelbad »

Nice, it will be onboard my boat before the next trip out. :thumbup:
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

:thumbup:

I also would like to remind everybody to thouroughly check your live well and bilge pump regularly. Especially the through fittings and hoses below the water line. Many a boat have sank because of a rotten hose or bad through fitting, and then a bilge pump does not work.

Also remember, MOST leaks at the transom are in a negative pressure zone when under way. That means if you can get on plane quickly, it will suck the water back out. I can remember as a kid my dad one time forgot the plug in his little 14 ft aluminum boat. With a couple of inches of water in the boat, I can remember being amazed at him just throttling up the motor and watching the water just disappear after a minute or so. He then put the plug in and we went right back to fishing.

Funny how little things like that were so cool back when I was a kid. :o

Also remember a few years back, a buddy was in another boat at Econfina when I noticed them being low in the water. They had a live well hose leak. It was so heavy that at first they could not plane out, but after a couple of minutes running, it planed out, and by the time they got back to the landing, most of the water was gone! (Yes, I think they ignored the No Wake signs that day) :lol:

And of course, self bailing boats are amazing at how much water they can get rid of when you power up the throttle.

Dubble :thumbup:
Last edited by Dubble Trubble on March 30th, 2012, 10:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
jwnoles
Site Sponsor

Post by jwnoles »

Awesome! Thanks for the post.
JW
<'(((<

2001 Carolina Skiff 1655V
2001 40 HP Yamaha
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

truck.jpg
truck.jpg (11.09 KiB) Viewed 1457 times
And set your parking brake at the ramp.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

I think that truck is parked on top of one of JT51's holes!

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.