Fishing from the shore

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

JPVolunteer
Site Sponsor

Fishing from the shore

Post by JPVolunteer »

I asked about using my boat in salt water I've decided to stick to fresh water. Are there any decent places to fish saltwater from the shore?
wevans
Site Sponsor

Re: Fishing from the shore

Post by wevans »

The best place is Bald Point State Park "IMO" lots of Oyster bars ta fish and a couple creeks to the left :thumbup: just watch the tides if you wade out amongst the bars. They are easy to get to on a low tide, but it can get deep ans somewhat swift on the rise. Lots of Reds and Trout there :beer: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

East Pass at St. George Island State Park is another good spot. You can drive there now without needing 4WD and it offers shots at redfish, trout, pompano, Spanish macks, jacks, sharks, etc.

Cape San Blas is one more. You'll think you're in the Florida Keys there.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

JMO-spend a few hundred bucks on a john boat, canoe or kyak. so many of the rivers, tidal creeks and grass flats can be accessed from hand launches. You can catch fish from shore if you try, but it will be a heck of a lot easier even with any type of "boat." Even if not a very nice "boat", you don't have to take it into water where you can't walk back to the launch in a worst case scenario, but you'll have access to some great fishing.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

bawk bawk bawk :smt117
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
ugadawg
Site Sponsor

Post by ugadawg »

I have a freshwater boat too. I've found that I have a hard time catching fish when it is at the house because i dont want to put it in the saltwater. I do have to do a bit more maintenance but being able to catch trout and reds is well worth it to me.
cotton

Post by cotton »

Visit the launch section on fcka.net. Most of the kayak launches work well for wading. Seriously, I would buy a yak.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

It's hard ta load the family into a Yak :o :-D :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

St Marks Refuge can be rewarding if you take the time to learn which creeks can be safely waded at various tides. With a mountain bike & backpack, you can cover a lot of levee that leads to good water. Overslot reds are not afraid to swim way up the creeks.
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

If you fish mostly by yourself.....its hard to beat a yak.
Shortly thereafter....you will buying one for everyone in the family.

I always did ok from shore in the bottoms rd area fwiw.
J Holden

Post by J Holden »

I've caught tons of fish wade fishing. Wakulla Beach, Mashes Sands, Bald Point, the shoreline a few miles above the Och. Bridge are all good places. Not much beats walking (shuffling, I should say) along in a coupe feet of water fishing topwater plugs while watching the sun come up. It'll get your blood going when a big trout comes up and murders a Spook or Top Dog 20 feet away.

Wearing boots and shuffling your feet will prevent a lot of headaches down the road.. Don't be that guy that wades in flip flops and then complains when he tears open his foot on an oyster cluster. There are flesh eating bacteria (Vibrio vulnificus in particular) living in saltwater that can kill you graveyard dead within 2 DAYS if they get into a cut on your foot while you're fishing. Fortunately, it isn't that common, but it still kills people every year. A fisherman in Texas had to have both legs amputated a while back from it.