endangered species FYI

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Barhopr
Site Sponsor

endangered species FYI

Post by Barhopr »

This could get interesting.
Eastern Diamondback NR 20120508.pdf
(91.17 KiB) Downloaded 286 times
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Re: endangered species FYI

Post by DEMON »

Hope they look around here before they decide they are threatened.
J Holden

Post by J Holden »

Eh, wouldn't change anything but putting the kibosh on rattlesnake roundups. I'll keep shooting em if they're in my yard and leaving them alone if they aren't.

I'd bet 1 out of every 2 gopher tortoise holes in the ANF has a diamondback in it instead of a tortoise :D
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

I felt potentially threatened myself last month when I nearly trod on a six-footer on a creek bank at the St. Marks Refuge. Big wicked triangle head, but it was gracious enough to keep to itself. You think they don't hang out around salt water, you be dead wrong.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

J Holden wrote:I'd bet 1 out of every 2 gopher tortoise holes in the ANF has a diamondback in it instead of a tortoise :D
That is a great place to start the research; let each member of "Protect All Living Species" stick a hand in a hole and see how many holes they check before we determine the snakes aren't endangered :roll:
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

J Holden, pretty much my exact sentiments.

Enjoy seeing them and don't kill them as long as they aren't sharing ground with my 3 year old daughter and my yellow lab.

That shared don't give a flying flip what knuckleheads from the "Protecting All Living Species" club say, they aren't going to stop me from protecting my family on my own property, and if they think they are than they are putting the libtard eggheadeous species at greater risk than the eastern diamondback. :wink: :beer:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

so called "habitat destruction" is more of my concern than whether or not rattlesnake roundup gets to happen each year. Its more than likely not going to come to anything but you never know.
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Just more good news from the farging idiots in D.C.. I think D.C. must stand for Dumb Clowns!
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

IF THEY ARE SO CLOSE TO BECOMING EXTINCT , WHY DO I HAVE TO KILL 8-10 EVERY YEAR HERE ON THE SOUTH FORTY, MAYBE THEY JUST LOVE THE OLD MAN AND WANT TO KEEP HIM COMPANY. :bang_1 :smt018 :smt019 :smt021 salute1 salute2 salute3
FUTCHCAIRO
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Idiots who never get out in the woods...

If they proceed with this effort, it will not be good for the land surveyor's in Florida. We already encounter too many rattlesnakes.

Steve Stinson
President
Meridian Surveying and Mapping, Inc.
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

J Holden wrote:
I'd bet 1 out of every 2 gopher tortoise holes in the ANF has a diamondback in it instead of a tortoise
The gopher tortoise actually shares his burrow with the rattler. I would say the ratio is 2 out of 2. The rattler is depended upon the tortoise burrow to escape from controlled burns. Saw it on GPTV. Their relationship is somewhat symbiotic.
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
CairoTrout
Site Sponsor

Post by CairoTrout »

J Holden wrote:Eh, wouldn't change anything but putting the kibosh on rattlesnake roundups. I'll keep shooting em if they're in my yard and leaving them alone if they aren't.

I'd bet 1 out of every 2 gopher tortoise holes in the ANF has a diamondback in it instead of a tortoise :D
Why would you put the kibosh on roundups?
All things are possible when you turn your life to Jesus.If you don't know how just ask.
RalphKramden2011

Post by RalphKramden2011 »

"Protect All Living Species" seems rather oxymoronic: when it comes to me and mine and a rattler choice the rattler is going to be the inferior species if I have any choice whatever! EVERY TIME!

Don't mind helping eradicate water moccasins either! EVERY TIME I GET A CHANCE!
J Holden

Post by J Holden »

CairoTrout wrote:
J Holden wrote:Eh, wouldn't change anything but putting the kibosh on rattlesnake roundups. I'll keep shooting em if they're in my yard and leaving them alone if they aren't.

Why would you put the kibosh on roundups?
I never said I would.
DWilliams

Post by DWilliams »

Tell those people to walk around the woods end of August mating season and see if they are endangered. Same with GT's, right up there with Red snapper and Jewfish.