Ramp Input - St. Marks area

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Badbagger

Ramp Input - St. Marks area

Post by Badbagger »

Just looking for some real world input based on experience for some suggestions for GOOD ramps in the St. Marks area so we can head out by the lighthouse to fish. Last I launched back in 09, the lighthouse ramps wasn't upgraded so I have no idea how it is today. Back then, not much fun. We have a 19' CC and she's wide and don't need any head aches.
Ideally ramps that are good at low and high tides. The more suggestions and real world input, the better. Along with rough idea on costs to launch etc. I've googled them all but they'll show you some pretty pictures but that's not much help to me.

Thank you and tight lines
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Re: Ramp Input - St. Marks area

Post by DEMON »

The Lighthouse is still shallow. They didn't fix that. Your other two all tide choices are the Fort & Shield's Marina. Either is good on any tide and puts you at about a 7mi. run to the lighthouse. I think all the ramps around here a $5.00 now.
Badbagger

Post by Badbagger »

Thank you, is that 7 miles or 7 minutes lol ? Not knowing the area well, I'm clueless.
slowroller
Site Sponsor

Post by slowroller »

Thats miles. Its a nice ride and I prefer to launch in fresh water every chance I get.
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

Yeah. I meant miles. It's a nice ride most of the time except when you get caught in the rain. Done that a couple of times and it sucks. You do however get a bonus it you launch at the Fort. I call it the ramp follies. Never fails to entertain.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

At Shields you can get marine gas, any supplies you need and friendly service. It is a couple hundred yards up past the fort.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
mbweimar

Post by mbweimar »

believe it or not i put in at lower bridge on 98 and run out there now. i didnt realize it was 7 miles to the lighthouse from the fort, that should make it at least 8.5 from 98. two weekends ago i put in at 98 and ran out to stoney bayou. made it there and back on about 2 gallons of fuel :)
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Is it $10 to launch at shields?
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Badbagger

Post by Badbagger »

Thanks for the continued input. If I can hit the tides right, I'm good with the lighthouse ramp but I'll avoid it at all costs with anything close to a low tide.
Badbagger

Post by Badbagger »

The "Fort" as it's called, is that ramp in the state park there or ? I found Old Fort Road and on google earth looks like a ramp area in the park. Ramp follies lol ? That should be just special. I should qualify for a free annual pass to the park if I read right being a disabled vet. Just need to get the docs together. Thanks again.
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

No.
"The fort " and "sheilds" are in the city of st. Marks proper. As is "shell island" which noone mentioned.
The fort is ran by the city of st. Marks and is where the stmarks and wakulla rivers merdge. There is an old fort there...hence the name.

Sheilds is a marina on the st. Marks, shell island is a marina on the wakulla.

All ramps are 5 bucks.

The ramp at the lighthouse is on federal land and you would qualify to get a free pass into the stmarks national wildlife refuge and therefore...launch for free.
You would have to get your pass and stuff before time of course.....prolly do it online.
Good luck!
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

WE LAUNCHED AT THE LIGHTHOUSE RAMP LAST THURS. WE PUT IN ON HIGH TIDE AND I HAVE NEVER SEEN THE CANAL WITH SO MUCH WATER, WE CAME OUT ABOUT 2 HRS. AFTER LOW TIDE WHERE WE HAD A NW WIND ALL DAY AND HAD PLENTY OF WATER. MY BOAT TAKES AT LEAST 28 INCHES TO RUN IN IF I AM OFF PLANE, ON PLANE ONLY NEED 12 INCHES TO RUN IN.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
Badbagger

Post by Badbagger »

Thanks, I found Shields on Google Earth as well as Shell Island FIsh Camp. On a road named Old Fort Rd at the intersection with River Breezes St looks like a ramp right where the two rivers merge.
Is that "the Fort" ramp ? Also running from there down river towards the lighthouse, is it easily navigable with a well marked channel? Recently picked up this boat and no GPS unit on her yet just a el cheapo fish finder. If I could post an image, I could show you what I'm talking about.

Thanks
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

Don't forget about the Newport launch just past the lighthouse turn. This one is hit or miss. I've seen it with water over the dock and below the concrete, but it sure is a nice ride down the St. Marks to get out.

And it is free.
850-273-8818