Tiger Sharks

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Re: Tiger Sharks

Post by MudDucker »

red_yakker wrote:
MudDucker wrote:Hmmm, I thought bulls were #1 and hammerheads were #2 in human attacks.
I thought Bulls were #1 too, but not according to this chart.
http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks/st ... ecies2.htm

Here is how that chart starts: "USE THIS TABLE WITH CAUTION! Positive identification of attacking sharks is very difficult since victims rarely make adequate observations of the attacker during the "heat" of the interaction." True Dat! Whites might be #1, but not on the East Coast of the US and certainly not in Florida. In over 50 years of saltwater fishing, I think I might have seen 1 Great White in the Gulf Stream off of Charleston.

Years ago I ran into a group of marine biologist doing a study off of Jax and then again a month later at Steinhatchee. One of those guys claimed to have studied shark bites all over the world. He was the one who told me it was bulls first and hammerheads second. He said he had personally caught several hammers with human body parts after going to an area to investigate a shark attack. Who know, he might have been blowing smoke.
Last edited by MudDucker on May 25th, 2012, 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Double post with no delete button. :smt012
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Frank Bradfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Frank Bradfield »

If you would have done a cannonball you would have scared the poor shark to death!
Badbagger

Post by Badbagger »

Frank Bradfield wrote:If you would have done a cannonball you would have scared the poor shark to death!
:-D
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

The biggest shark I ever seen in the big bend area was a Tiger. I was fifteen-years-old. My grandmother was running the little bait and tackle store at Shell Point then, so I spent a lot of time there. Someone caught one and tied it off the old dock that was in front of the Restraunt. Can't say the length, but it was so impressive that the folks at FSU found out about it and came down and took it for research.
Semper Fi