Truck goes into the water...TWICE!

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Truck goes into the water...TWICE!

Post by mjsigns »

Bad day at the lake. Posted Yesterday...
It's worth a view. :thumbup:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=bd3_1338196286
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Re: Truck goes into the water...TWICE!

Post by lonesouth »

suppose I'll put wheel chocks on my shopping list.
850-273-8818
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

The one and only time I let my wife pull the truck and boat off the ramp ended somewhat the same. I drove the boat up onto the trailer at Keaton Beach public ramp. She was supposed to pull it up off the ramp. Lucky, I jumped out of the boat into the bed of the truck before she attempted to pull forward. Instead, she put it in reverse and gunned it. The truck was about half way under before she got it stopped with me yelling instructions from the bed of the truck standing in about waist deep water. The water was about twelve inches deep inside the cab by this time. Beleive it or not the engine stayed running. It was a 1992 Ford F150, I'd expect no less! Cost me a new computer for the truck, but it survived to launch many more boats. That was the last time I trusted my wife to do the duty though.
salute2
Semper Fi
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

The wife and I have a pretty good system by now. For launching, we get the boat prepped, coolers loaded, transoms straps off, winch off, safety chain ON. I get the boat and trailer lined up so she only has to back straight, soon as I'm off the trailer, she pulls forward and parks. For loading, I get the trailer wet, put it in drive and set the parking brake; she jumps in the truck as I return to the boat. I get the boat far enough up, attach the winch and winch it home, no power loading for me. Only after the boat is secured full forward does she take the parking brake off.
850-273-8818
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

My wife and I have a great system as well. Her only obligation is to hold the rope when I back the boat down. She has no duties after that and I wouldn't want it any other way.
Stay Thirsty My Friends
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Rocket,
That's our new system also. So far she hasn't dropped the rope.
salute2
Semper Fi
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Was staying at a duck camp in Miss. real cold. Long ramp to the oxbow was real steep. I was nervous launching with 4wd. Later in the day we were sitting on the deck eating and saw a smoke plume. Figured a boat was on fire, but when we came over the hill we could hear the tires burning. 2WD was trying to get up a steep iced over boat ramp with a heavy old glass boat on it. He finally made it before we could get around there and hook to him, but the smoke rising was most impressive.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

My wife and I have a fool proof system that insures she won't have a ramp accident. She doesn't go with me. :-D
What was I supposed to do today?
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

It looks like the guy in the video was the one driving the truck. Wife was driving the boat. Not judging, just saying.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

One of the reasons we use the lift at Keaton. Could happen to anyone.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

SS-342 wrote:My wife and I have a fool proof system that insures she won't have a ramp accident. She doesn't go with me.
Ditto on that TC :thumbup: :thumbup:
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
salty tiger
Advertising Sponsor

Post by salty tiger »

mjsigns wrote:
SS-342 wrote:My wife and I have a fool proof system that insures she won't have a ramp accident. She doesn't go with me.
Ditto on that TC :thumbup: :thumbup:
Double ditto. If she does go she waits on the dock while I load and unload. I let her load the boat once, and she broke my push pole by hitting one of the guide post.
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Tin Can,
That system was tried at my house once. I finally put my foot down and demanded that my wife let me go too. :wink: If my wife stayed on the dock, I would bring home about a quarter of the fish I do now! She's one of the few women I've met that ask for fishing tackle for birthdays, Mother's Day, and Christmas.
I just don't trust her to help at the ramp.

salute2
Semper Fi
hmaadd29

Post by hmaadd29 »

Whoever I'm with. Wife or friends I have my own system just let me do it. Some people don't understand this but it makes it simple.
Badbagger

Post by Badbagger »

rocket wrote:My wife and I have a great system as well. Her only obligation is to hold the rope when I back the boat down. She has no duties after that and I wouldn't want it any other way.
Same here and it works every time. She does a great job too.