HELP!! 1998 17 ft Stratos 115 Johnson Fast Strike 2 Stroke

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

UKWILDCAT1998

HELP!! 1998 17 ft Stratos 115 Johnson Fast Strike 2 Stroke

Post by UKWILDCAT1998 »

Just got my first real bass boat and want to treat it right. I don't claim to know much, but I fishextremely well. That being said, can anyone help me as to how to treat and maintain my motor for every trip? From type of gas, gas treatment and oil. I know its 50:1 ratio.lol.. but engine oil, if any and si ple maintenance. Can't thank you guys enough. Any advice would be well appreciated.
Jeff
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Re: HELP!! 1998 17 ft Stratos 115 Johnson Fast Strike 2 Stro

Post by SS-342 »

Congratulations on you boat!

I have a four stroke so can't help you with the oil mixture but have two recommendations.

Use Star-tron in you gas and if at all possible none ethanol gas. Don't know the size engine you have but if you can run out the gas also do that each time.

Don't forget the oil in the foot. It needs checking ever so often and changing. I change mine every year but it can go longer but needs checking.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

Use non ethanol gas only. Get a fuel water separator filter and use a good quality outboard motor oil, Johnson/Evenrude. For the Stratos care, Trout Trent has an older one that still looks like new. He might give you some tips on the boat.
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

Will you be using it in fresh water only or in salt too?

One tip is once a week or so when not in use turn the steering wheel to keep the steering cable from freezing up. Don't leave it in the straight forward position all the time and shoot some grease in the grease fittings on the motor.
duckbill
Site Sponsor

Post by duckbill »

Keep a spreadsheet on your computer to keep up w/boat maintenance.
Change lower unit oil annually.
I change my spark plugs annually.
Check on water pump impeller changeout frequency for your engine and keep up with that.
Do you have a water/fuel separator on your boat (usually in bilge area)?if not, recommend installing one - easily done and worth it! I change out my water/fuel separator filter annually but check for water several times/yr.
Trailer - keep bearings greased and manually check every 3-4 yrs.
With ethanol issues change out fuel filter (under engine cowling) every couple of yrs. (annually might not be bad idea - filter inexpensive and easy to change out)
Keep all grease fittings on steering mechanism maintained.
Wash down trailer after launching in saltwater (especially if boat is going to be off the trailer for several days).

Good boating! Do all this preventive maintenance and you'll minimize your headaches. :D
Some people fish all their lives before they realize it's not the fish they are after...Thoreau
duckbill
Site Sponsor

Post by duckbill »

Ditto on non-ethanol fuel for your older two stroke. If you can't obtain it, make sure you use Startron or good additive for treating gas with ethanol.
Some people fish all their lives before they realize it's not the fish they are after...Thoreau
bbb

Post by bbb »

Bought that same boat new back in 1996. Only kept it for 2 years but loved the boat. Went down to St Marks one day and caught a redfish and had to sell it for a saltwater boat.