anyone see anything wrong with this?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

mbweimar

Re: anyone see anything wrong with this?

Post by mbweimar »

yeah, actually i think the 90 i saw was on troy's boat from swamp people! my 9.9 has the "steering friction" lever on it. i can darn near lock it down so i dont have to touch the motor at all. not that i would want to do that. but something like that would come in handy with a bigger tiller.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

That boat is fine. A friend of mine works with the guy selling it. It's a good boat.
Team Jolly Mon
homboyfsu

Post by homboyfsu »

That's out at the Marine Base in Albany. Let me know who got the boat?
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

nope that price is real, its here on the for sale lot on the USMC MCLB here in albany i passed it this morning after coming through the gate i know the the 1st owner its a great boat. its a safe buy!
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Thats a good looking rig. I used to have a 1648 Jon with a 25hp Yammie (2 stroke) that was fun to run.
Stay Thirsty My Friends
Jon Boat

Post by Jon Boat »

I have the same motor on a carolina skiff j16. It will push me, the wife(she is skinny :), the dog and gear about 25mph in good conditions. If its just me and gear I can run 30-33mph. Ive loaded 4 people on the boat before and yes it was a little sluggish getting on plane but once it got going it wasnt as sluggish as I thought it would be. I will agree if you are loaded down and its windy it will be sluggish. But for fishing and hunting around here it will be perfect. I mean how fast do you really want to be going in a boat like that. I wouldnt get a different motor for my skiff. Easy maintenance, quiet and sips gas. My motor also has the "steering friction" lever on it you were talking about.
mbweimar

Post by mbweimar »

I talked to the guy last night for a while. Real nice guy, and definitely a legitimate seller. I'm really thinking hard about it. But I would like to see what parkway marine has first. I went to their site last night and saw some really neat boats.
mastercaster

Post by mastercaster »

Boat rated for 50-70 with a 25 on it? I would think very hard about that.
mbweimar

Post by mbweimar »

Max HP is 50-70
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Looks like a nice rig, but with the rating a 25-hp engine is on the underpowered side. A 50-horse would be a better match. It's always preferred to have higher horsepower and not use it than to be constantly be running an engine under strain. That results in harder planing, poor fuel economy, the dryness/wetness of the ride, etc. Even though it's aluminum, that is still a heavy boat for its class. Horsepower ratings are calculated based on the carrying capacity, weight and flotation of the hull and design. For example, many of the newer bay and center consoles have raised aft decks and higher freeboard to handle the extra weight that comes with four-stroke engines.

But it's a judgement call. If you plan on fishing solo and out of places with short runs like the Aucilla or Econfina, then this rig might work fine if you fish with minimal gear. If your float plan will regularly entail family and friends, then you may be disappointed. Another option would be to buy the package, re-power with a larger engine and sell the 25. It will appeal to hunters as well as anglers. Or keep looking until you find something else. Again, this is good-looking rig for certain applications, but there are a lot of options available right now and there will be even better buys this winter.
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

I think the horse power is a big drawback. I would want a better deal on the price for that size motor although it is a really nice rig. If you buy it you will probably always be wishing you had more motor to push it. In a couple of months you will start seeing a lot more boats for sale and at better deals.
RiverRunner

Post by RiverRunner »

Double post
Last edited by RiverRunner on June 21st, 2012, 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RiverRunner

Post by RiverRunner »

My 1571 Polar Kraft came with a 25 Yamaha 2 stroke and it wasn't enough for me. I finally ran across a 50 TLDI Tohatsu Tiller and love it. It pushes it well.... I do have a lot more weight in mine than one you are looking at though.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Correct me if i'm wrong but i was told that due to the higher torque that a 4 stroke has. That moter should push like a 35 or 40 2 stroke. I had a 25 2stroke on a k16 Sundance and with a Stingray jr. hydrofoil it planed and ran great with 2 poeple and gear. Fished all day on 6 gallons of gas.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

The boat is in Albany - some of those pictures were taken from the Marine Base there - I worked there for 13 years