A few quick questions about SGI

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Haveuseen1?

A few quick questions about SGI

Post by Haveuseen1? »

This will be my first trip to SGI. Will be there July 13-21. We will be staying on the east end of the island, and I will have my Old Town Twin Otter that is rigged for fishing. I have done quite a bit of research and it seems the closest place to launch my kayak is from the state park. They open at 8am, and normally I like to get on the water a little earlier. Other than driving back to the bridge does anyone know of any other places to launch? I am really looking forward to this trip as I will be fishing with my 10yr old son ( his first real saltwater fishing trip ). I was planning on using a DOA deadly combo for him, or getting him to catch pinfish and throwing one out as a drifter. At this point we are looking at rattlesnake cove area to fish. We both love to fish, and explore. Any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

-Chris
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: A few quick questions about SGI

Post by silverking »

Not sure if you still can, but park officers used to provide the gate combo if you bought an annual pass for early entry. May not be cost-effective for you if you're visiting for a short duration.

An alternative would be to drive and park at one the of many roads that dead-ends at the bay closest to RSC. Launch the canoe there and paddle east. The oyster bars around the Boy Scout ramp will hold reds and trout on moving tides. Not sure if water clarity has improved much, but glow/gold flake DOA shrimp is a great color in this stained water.

Good luck.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Read this, and don't pay no mind to the pics of Melly :-D :smt004 :beer: :beer:
http://www.bigbendfishing.net/phpBB3/vi ... 93#p194093
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
KYFRED

Post by KYFRED »

The state park is a good place, but the cost and timing to get in is tough. IF you turn north on 11th and follow it around onto Pine, ther is a little street - Beal I beleive. This goes right down to the bay and offers parking and easy access. There is an oyster bar just off the shore. I've had moderate luck both directions. You can also go to 6th street and go toward the bay. There is a small aprkign area and a short walk to the back side of teh cove you see the 3 crosses in coming accross the bridge. Have fun ans share the reports.
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

Talk to Capt Larry @ island Adventures. He will have your best advice for your week on SGI as far as fishing will go. Here is his stores web site and phone #
www.sgioutfitters.com
(850) 927-2604
salty tiger
Advertising Sponsor

Post by salty tiger »

Here's a map of most of kayak launch sites in the area...

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8 ... 63858&z=11
Haveuseen1?

Post by Haveuseen1? »

Thank you kindly for the info. I couldnt tell from google maps if I would be able to paddle the channel across at rattlesnake cove.

And thank you for the kayak launch sites!

I will make sure to post a follow up.

-Chris