LARGE BAITS OR SMALLER BAITS ?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hollywood
Site Sponsor

LARGE BAITS OR SMALLER BAITS ?

Post by Hollywood »

I have heard conflicting opinions on this subject, what size baits are better in the spring,summer,fall, and winter. I have heard three diffrent opinions any help would be great.
mbweimar

Re: LARGE BAITS OR SMALLER BAITS ?

Post by mbweimar »

what are we throwing these baits in? freshwater? saltwater?
Hollywood
Site Sponsor

Post by Hollywood »

Salt water and I'm targeting red fish and trout, and I mainly use top water and gulp on a jig head or the D.O.A. shrimp.
mbweimar

Post by mbweimar »

i have caught some nice trout on the smaller chug bugs. thats about all i use as far as artificial goes.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Big baits catch big fish. They'll catch small fish, too. You won't get as many bites with a big bait. But when you do it's usually a quality fish.
What was I supposed to do today?
K.Ick

Post by K.Ick »

Haven't gotten out in a while so went out on Sunday afternoon to just to knock the dust off the gear and casually fished the bay side of Dog Island. I was using frozen shrimp and cut mullet pieces on a jig head. No great fishing to report, only caught shorts, however, I noticed the frequency of the bites I did get really picked up when I loaded the hook with multiple pieces of bait instead of a single piece. Not sure if the water color is still limiting the ability of the fish to find the bait, but a overloaded hook seemed to get a bite most of the time when a "normal" loaded hook did not.