inshore night fishing

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

grasscarp

inshore night fishing

Post by grasscarp »

Have any of you inshore night fished? Would you be better off to fish some know flats that are good in the day 5 to 7 feet of water or go out deeper 20 to 25 feet. Lights? Chumming? Anchor or drift?
If this is successful could save years off my life by not baking in the sun :smt004
fireant21
Site Sponsor

Re: inshore night fishing

Post by fireant21 »

I have done it for years in St Joe Bay, both fishing and floundering. Tend to see more fish up shallower as the night progresses. I have seen reds hanging out in pockets of grass in less than 1.5 feet of water numerous times while floundering.

I would prefer drifting if your fishing, but often you may find you will need a little assist to move around, as the wind often settles overnight and won't be much help pushing you along. No lights for me while fishing, depending upon the moon phase you won't need them, though red LED on a hat light helps in the boat.
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

I do it during the summer. Good way to beat the heat. I fish the same places and the same way as daytime with a couple of exceptions.
If you use cajun thunder style rigs, put some glow in the dark paint on them (the thick gel stuff from the craft store). The red lights help or at least low lumen LED for rigging & moving around the boat. I don't like the hat lights 'cause you turn it on & your fishing buddy says something and without thinking you turn to look at him & blind him. I also have 2 Q-Beam type spot lights for navigating in the dark. Be prepared for the frequent foggy nights. It sometimes rolls in thick & getting back to the ramp can take 10 times as long as usual. If you are thinking about doing it any time soon, be aware that there have been lots of reports of floating debris from TS Debby and you can't see that stuff at night.

If the trout & reds aren't biting, put out a shark rig and have some fun.
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

Ditto on fishing same areas on flats at night as daytime. I use no lights except a very small penlight for changing lures, tying knots, using net, etc. I prefer to drift unless fishing points when I'll sometimes put down an anchor.
On a clear night it is hard to concentrate on fishing with the beauty of the sky. Out from Anky there are a few lights to use for reference.
Have fun! Make a daytime run with GPS to and from your ramps to be prepared for fog.
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
RED ZONE 48

Post by RED ZONE 48 »

If you hear a Boat Motor TURN ON YOUR NAV. LIGHTS , it may be the FWC or just another boat you don't want to get RUN OVER. I have had many Close Calls at Night because someone was to STUPID to Turn on a LIGHT and you can't be Seen in the Dark. I fish the same areas at night as in the day time seems to be more Sharks at night. Don't forget the GPS you may need it to find your way back.
Fog can be THICK this time of Yr.
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

WHAT THEY SAID, I ALWAYS USE LOUD TOP WATER BAITS, EVEN USED A FRESH WATER BUZZ BAIT WITH GREAT SUCCESS , GENERALLY FISHED BETWEEN THE LIGHTHOUSE AND THE #2 STAKE, MOSTLY IN 3-5 FT. OF WATER. THE ONLY TIME I GO NIGHT IS 4 DAYS BEFORE AND AFTER THE FULL MOON.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

My method is completely different. I sight fish. In the summer up in shallow water you can move around with a spotlight and see the red eyes of shrimp just laying in the grass. I scoop them with a special small mesh dip net similar to a crab net. It has a long handle on it. Then I use just enough split shot to cast the shrimp and a 1/0 red hook. I move around the oyster bars with a push pole and spot light. When I see fish, I throw to them and kill the light and wait. If they don't hit in just a minute or so I put the light back on and move on slowly scanning for other fish. It's amazing how many fish you will see in 1 or 1 1/2 foot of water.
When I go, I use my gig for a push pole, so I'm also hunting Flounder, Mullet, and Shephead with the gig. Expands a floundering trip to a fishing trip.

salute2
Semper Fi
grasscarp

Post by grasscarp »

Thanks for the information. Ill try those methods but im going to try underwater lights as well. I will report back what happens when i go (which hopefully is soon, work seems to get in the way too often)