Oyster Bay 7/27-7/29

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fishfalcon

Oyster Bay 7/27-7/29

Post by fishfalcon »

Put the boat in the water Friday about 8 pm with a buddy. We cruised out to a nearby spot and I noticed some surface feeding activity. I stopped the boat and handed my buddy a spinning rod rigged with a cajun thunder and a jig. I started to rig my own rod and he gets smashed on the first cast. I hear his drag screaming and look up to see the fish circling the boat and his line coming over my head. I duck and help his line clear the motor housing and try to give him some encouragement. I got the net ready, but as I was about to make an attempt the 5-6 pound blue shook his head and made a run that parted the leader. I re-rigged his rod and he caught a short trout. I added a 17.5 " trout to the box and then we lined up for another drift. There was still some surface activity so I switched to a topwater and was rewarded with an 18.5" trout before we ran in. Saturday we fished live baits and ended up with 4 keepers and 4 shorts plus a 3' blacktip before doing family time at the beach. We were rained out for our planned scallop trip. Sunday we ran over to the Rock Garden and picked up a limit of scallops. They are fun to catch, but no fun to clean. Had them last night sauteed in butter and served over pasta and they were tasty enough that I am willing to clean a few more. Water clarity was much better than 2 weeks ago. A great weekend with family and friends.
Dockwilson
Site Sponsor

Re: Oyster Bay 7/27-7/29

Post by Dockwilson »

Sounds like a good weekend :thumbup: :thumbup:
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

Great report, Thanks..
AshlieKC

Post by AshlieKC »

We did the scallops blackened last night and they were AMAZING! So yummy with some grits!
Just take me fishing ;-)
CaptReelThyme

Post by CaptReelThyme »

:thumbup: :thumbup: :lick:
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

Sounds like a great time
The Back Porch