Push Pole Suggestions needed

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Push Pole Suggestions needed

Post by silverking »

Here's a recent column I wrote on this very subject...

http://www.saltwatersportsman.com/techn ... -push-pole
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Sorry Folks... please forgive me while I try to crawl out from under the bus :oops:
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
mbweimar

Post by mbweimar »

i have wondered about using bamboo as a pole. i happen to have some bamboo in my yard that is 25+ feet high.
mastercaster

Post by mastercaster »

I seriously wonder if any of you guys saying PVC or wood have actually poled a boat for more than 2 mins.
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Silverking, nice article but ... I never want to be a professional guide if I have to do this:

"A 21-footer weighs 212 pounds and is very stiff. It's also only 114 inches in diameter, to help reduce fatigue. We designed that pole for professional guides who are on the platform all day long."

:D
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

mastercaster wrote:I seriously wonder if any of you guys saying PVC or wood have actually poled a boat for more than 2 mins.
You don't have to wonder, it's been done for many years !!
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

zload wrote:Silverking, nice article but ... I never want to be a professional guide if I have to do this:

"A 21-footer weighs 212 pounds and is very stiff. It's also only 114 inches in diameter, to help reduce fatigue. We designed that pole for professional guides who are on the platform all day long."

:D

Thanks. The fractions didn't come through on the internet copy. It's supposed to be 2.5 pounds and 1.25 inches. I don't think Capt. Rob Fordyce could even pole if they were that large and he looks like he just walked off the offensive line for the Dolphins. :lol:
RED ZONE 48

Post by RED ZONE 48 »

A Pole Vault pole works great if you can get one, If you know someone in the Athletic dept that has one they are going to throw out. schools sometimes sell them at surplus auctions, I got 2 for $2.00 about 15 yrs ago and am still using them , one was broken and I use it as a stake out pole.
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

topwater.. i also have a sterling in 22ft, i have the 24 ft stiffy hybrid and its like holding a fishing rod, its a expensive item to add to the boat i know ,but in the long run you'll be more happy with no doubt. fits perfect in the gunnel flip ups!