Planes @ St. Marks Saturday

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fishing coach
Site Sponsor

Planes @ St. Marks Saturday

Post by fishing coach »

As I was making my way back into the ramp at the lighthouse (after an unsuccessful day of fishing) I saw a couple of planes putting on quite a show over the flats. Did anyone else see this? I'm sure plenty of folks did, as it appeared to be out over the pile of boats scalloping.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Re: Planes @ St. Marks Saturday

Post by Gulf Coast »

Prob watching the shark show down below
yardman32317
Site Sponsor

Post by yardman32317 »

They were Air Force A10's
Sua Sponte
RLTW
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

I heard a big prop plane while scalloping and gave it a look, but didn't see anything out of the ordinary.
edit: I was there Sunday not Saturday.
Last edited by rocket on August 6th, 2012, 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stay Thirsty My Friends
tallykenjsbetterhalf
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenjsbetterhalf »

From what I've read, very few had decent luck fishing on Saturday. We bombed out as well. It's always a great day when you can get out on the water though. :D Didn't see the planes, but we were out later in the afternoon and came in as the thunderboomers were looking ominous. blew out of there by the time we hit the St. Marks. Actually thought about turning around to go back out. Glad we didn't because another cell built up later. Can't wait for next Saturday.
ugadawg
Site Sponsor

Post by ugadawg »

I saw them on Saturday. Looked liked they saw a pile of boats and decided to put on a show.
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Was out there Saturday, heard the planes while we were on the way back to the ramp around 12:30. Caught a lot of rock bass, and a pile of shorts, lizard and a toad fish, and the ever present sail cats... Had to get a jump from Tow Boat, (new Aerator pump killed my battery) got to us within 10minutes of the call. We were 5 miles east of the light house. Heard the planes but missed the show. Have seen a pair of A-10's over the flats back in June. Heard the sound of the unmistakable GE twin terbofan engines.. :thumbup:
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

Awwwwww man!
I woulda loved to have seen that!

I love me some warthogs!! Hell yeah!
neckmoe

Post by neckmoe »

And no one got any pics?
I don't know when I'm gonna catch my next fish but I know when I do it's gonna be awesome!
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

No pics but saw it firsthand and with it directly over our scalloping spot. A10s for sure, and quite neat. Back in SC remember jets doing similar acrobatic fly-overs timed perfectly with our football practice... thinking that as a recruiting tool, beats the heck out of any ol' poster. ;)
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

I've never seen A-10's over St Marks, but have seen the F22's out of Eglin working formation over us out there (what an incredible site, btw).

Back in high-school in Mississippi, we'd have A-10s working formation over us at baseball games and practice; I definitely had to run a few triangles due to staring in awe. :lol:
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

They came flying in out of the West, 2 of them that my son and I saw, then made a U turn right over the mouth of the Econfina and headed back East.

My son Andrew who is 9, got a big kick out of them. Huck Finn's boat and Steve Hobb's were also sitting there near us, all of us trying to catch a last minute flounder before the NFGFC weigh in.
- Steve Stinson
Mdnght_Wlf

Post by Mdnght_Wlf »

I used to love fishing East Bay in Panama City and watching the Training Squadron do maneuvers in and around Tyndall AFB. Everything from old F-111's to F-22's. Awe inspiring sights and deep respect for our nation's Air Force. Don't see it quite as much in this area though. Wish I could've been out there.
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

Ya know....there musta been some sorta air force thing going on, because now that I think about it. We were at the jr museum Saturday about 11 and there was a lone F15 eagle doing circles over the area. I thought it odd and awesome to see an F15 over our area.....and low too....I could see the pilot. The animals did NOT approve. Lol.
Musta been the same manuvers?
Awesome that the sortie was with old war horses like the eagle and some warthogs......it'd been real cool to get a shot of them together.
Two a10s and two f15s could do some major tail kicking!
TallyFish

Post by TallyFish »

A while back I was fishing in Big Cove just east of the St Marks lighthouse in my yak and heard the familar sound of A-10 engines coming up behind me. I looked up as two were flying over and gave them a wave a received a wing wobble in return as they headed toward the lighthouse. Just to make sure I got a good look at the most beautiful aircraft in the world they circled back and got down REAL low to say hello!