New way to piss off the Yakers.

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

bbb

New way to piss off the Yakers.

Post by bbb »

Got tired of running in 6 inches of water and scarring up the sea grass with my mud motor. So now when I see a paddler, I'll be able to throw them a wake, send them some wind, and they can hear me miles away. :lol: ;-) j/k

It's a 35hp Briggs and Stratton Vanguard engine. Paul Dixon in Bainbridge puts the boat together.

Actually mainly gonna use it as a frogging or joy riding boat. It does both of those things well.

We were able to sneak up to these guys yesterday at Seminole, while they were making their beds.
rocket
Site Sponsor

Re: New way to piss off the Yakers.

Post by rocket »

Nice ride.
Stay Thirsty My Friends
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

Is it prop noise or exhaust that makes these so loud? Never been on one, so just curious. Spiffy boat :)
850-273-8818
RiverRunner

Post by RiverRunner »

Depends on how the boat is set up. Mostly it is Prop noise. But, there are some Prop Manufactures out there like Whirlwind that has "Whisper-Tip" prop, the have really got the noise down per say. Then there are some that barely run mufflers if any at all.

Nice mess of fish bbb....
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

Nice! What kind of speed are you getting and how does it pick up a load of say two adults with gear? Just curious!
Thanks for info!
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

[quote="RiverRunner"]Depends on how the boat is set up. Mostly it is Prop noise.... Then there are some that barely run mufflers if any at all.

These are the ones I see and hear all the time. A good way to mess up a peaceful day. It has to be fun!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
bbb

Post by bbb »

When it comes to this airboat, its all prop noise. When the motor is idling, you can't even here the motor running, just the prop cutting the wind.

I've seen speeds of 20 with 2 people in shallow water. I haven't gps'ed is alone yet, but can definately tell a difference when I'm by myself. I'm thinking 22-24 alone.

This thing is perfect for Jackson and running the shoreline. It slides like you're on ice. Also fun to frog off of.

I just installed a Mikuni Carb last night so should pick up another couple hundred rpms and maybe a couple mph. Gonna order some high flow heads next week and then should be finished with mods until I'm ready to move up to a big boy airboat.

I also know that if you are running 2 people, deep water, into a 10-15 knot headwind, its Slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Congrats on the new toy. It won't be only kayakers pissed off. Airboats are equal opportunity offenders
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Mister Mullet

Post by Mister Mullet »

You guys are wayyyy too nice up here. I used to write for Airboat magazines and am good friends with the guy that runs the airboat concession in the Loxahatchee wildlife refuge. Those guys are nuts. The basic engine they teach their children on is a 502 Chevy crate motor putting out 500 hp! I was offered rides on rigs pushing 800 hp, which I declined. I learned early on not to bass fish in the airboat trails. No mufflers out there. Open headers, but they were getting pressure because of the noise. Don't know what's changed since I left 7 years ago. It was exciting. And loud. Hope they don't become popular up here.
J Holden

Post by J Holden »

You know there are two kinds of airboaters, right? Those who have sunk and those who will :-D

They are serious fun and can take you to places others will never go.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

J Holden wrote:You know there are two kinds of airboaters, right? Those who have sunk and those who will :-D

They are serious fun and can take you to places others will never go.
You can also stick them where few can follow to get you out! :smt009 Carry a HEAVY duty push pole at all times and be sure it is roped down not to get into the prop! :thumbup:
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

J Holden wrote: Those who have sunk and those who will :-D
That does not apply just to air boaters! :smt010 Been there....done that...gots lots of T-Shirts! :smt010

Two mud boats down in last three years! :smt010
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
MarkM

Post by MarkM »

Nice looking boat! It's got to be fun!