Trolling motors may not catch fish, but they sure do help

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

tallykenjsbetterhalf
Site Sponsor

Trolling motors may not catch fish, but they sure do help

Post by tallykenjsbetterhalf »

So, we headed out at 5:30 this morning. Stopped for shrimp at Jerry's and were underway by 6:40. Head to the target fishing area and were there by about 7:15. It was gorgeous. The water was glass. I took some pics of the sunrise, but can't figure out how to post them and the IT "better half is asleep."

Anyway, started with spoons and topwater. In no time, two trout and a red. We could have never gotten into that area without a trolling motor. Way too skinny for the rig on the back. Bite slowed, so we headed out and stopped at 4',6', 10' and settled in at about 15'. Hauled in a motherload of rock bass for dinner. We caught two small mutton snappers (I think that's what they were), several white grunt, and a really good size spanish. Oh, and two ladys.

It was a great day out there. Calm until about 2:00 when the wind kicked up. Can't wait until next Saturday! Hope the weather will cooperate.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Re: Trolling motors may not catch fish, but they sure do hel

Post by tin can »

Glad your efforts paid off and the new trolling motor worked for you.
What was I supposed to do today?
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Maybe mangrove snapper. Muttons are going to be deeper. Of course after Debbie we caught 20 or so gags on dog island reef in 4'. My power pole was down. Glad y'all had a good day. You may consider getting a legend to ID fish. You don't want to have to explain to a fwc officer that your legal mangrove was really a short mutton etc.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
CaptReelThyme

Post by CaptReelThyme »

I saw you out there around the 6-8 foot depth around 130pm. Trolling motor looks good. Not sure what type of cell phone that you have, but there is a great app on the iphone called 2012 FishRules. It is full of photos, drawings and all the regulations that you need. It is also GPS sensitive to what region you are currently fishing. Or if you are lucky enough, you can fish with a great outdoorsman as well as great veterinarian or a certain off duty FWC officer. They tend to know more than the average bear.
CaptRT
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

congrats Ken. Lets see pics of this hard sought red.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
tallykenjsbetterhalf
Site Sponsor

CaptRT, If you have time, next time stop on by and say hi. Actually, we have several different fish identification charts on the boat, but they don't show all the species. Nothing probably would because there are so many. Worth checking out the app as we have good cell coverage out there. Thanks for the tip. A friend of mine said it sounded like a parrot mouth grunt, but can't find a picture of that fish. Maybe it's known by another name.

Showboat, I knew I should have snapped a picture! Catherine actually caught it and we had somewhat of a "discussion" on throwing it back or keeping it. It was just over 18", so I didn't want to risk keeping it. Catherine had other thoughts on the matter. Don't know how much they might shrink in the cooler and that was cutting it too close. Not worth having a difference of opinion with FWC or anyone else on "legal vs. illegal." Of course, I won, but needed her to get it back in the water to get caught another day. Really wanted to eat it for dinner! It was really great to finally catch one instead of having to wait for river fishing this winter.

Thanks to all for your advice and support. It is very much appreciated! :smt038
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Ah man, if it over 18 it is in the slot. Just like a 27 1/16 is over. Make sure to "pinch the tail". That will stretch em out another 3/4 inch or so. Also get a good measuring device like a gator grip redfish measuring board or a hawg trough. It is a ruler that lays flat with a 90 degree bend. You slide the fish nose up to the bend. Then pinch the tail to make it be as long as it can. There will be lines going with the width of the board so there can be no mistake. I've used cooler lids and the fla sportsman law stick sticker and it can be tricky on a close fish. I've measured fish on the law stick that I thought were close then put them on "the board" and found they were well over. It will definately make you more confident about what you put in the box. Or put them in a saltwater ice slush not on top of ice in a cooler. Someone much smarter than me said they shrank from drying out. Good luck.
tallykenjsbetterhalf
Site Sponsor

Salty,

We actually have two of those sticks on board. Not sure why we have two. Have asked Ken about that and can't remember his answer. He is an IT guy and believes in redundancy, so maybe that's his rationale (at least on the cheap things).e :) We also pinch the tail, although we didn't on the red. I've never been one to cut something "close." I certainly recognize that some do and that's perfectly o.k. Next time we see an FWC officer, I'll ask for clarification. Maybe that will make me feel more comfortable. Thanks for the suggestion of the salwater ice slush. Don't want my catches drying out.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Try to get in the habit of pinching tails. If you catch a 26" red, don't pinch the tail and get checked. You will get a ticket for an overslot fish. I have seen many reds ot the dock that were way over , because the tails werent pinched. And remember 27 1/16 is over, just like an 18 1/16 is legal. Good luck.
tallykenjsbetterhalf
Site Sponsor

Salty Gator wrote:Try to get in the habit of pinching tails. If you catch a 26" red, don't pinch the tail and get checked. You will get a ticket for an overslot fish. I have seen many reds ot the dock that were way over , because the tails werent pinched. And remember 27 1/16 is over, just like an 18 1/16 is legal. Good luck.

Good Point! Thanks!
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

I've seen a couple of overs at some tourneys too!
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?