St Marks Redfish

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

guthooked
Site Sponsor

St Marks Redfish

Post by guthooked »

I am planning on a trip to St Marks this weekend and I know the water will be very stained, but am looking to to try and put my 9 year old son on a redfish or two. I am very familiar with the area but normally do most of my fishing in the spring to early summer. My question is how to target redfish this time of year and with this much stain. I was thinking if the floating grass is not too bad I would start with top water and stick to chartreuse and white or red and white. Maybe try close to creek mouths or up the east river.

What do ya'll think? Any input would be appreciated.
CaptReelThyme

Re: St Marks Redfish

Post by CaptReelThyme »

I hadn't had much luck up the east river area this time of year. I would try out west of the #17 off the oyster beds or over by Stony Bayou. Zara Spook in the Am if calm, ADL spoon Gold. or there is always the rookie rig..CT with live shrimp or Nuke Chicken Gulp. Where i was Sunday, the grass wasnt really a factor till the tide was pushing water in... Good Luck

Capt RT
guthooked
Site Sponsor

Post by guthooked »

Thanks for the help Capt.
fishfalcon

Post by fishfalcon »

Live finger mullet by the oyster bars. This past weekend the water was not as badly stained and white was the color preference, but there has been more rain and runoff this week. Good luck.
guthooked
Site Sponsor

Post by guthooked »

Thanks Fishfalcon
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

Finger mullet on the bottom near bars. I even caught some off the long bar. They're pretty thick out there right now. Where the trout are however....I have no clue.