Scallop Report 9/16/12

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Jose Gaspar

Scallop Report 9/16/12

Post by Jose Gaspar »

Took friends and family out yesterday morning for some scalloping in the general vacinity of the rocks. The water clarity is bad. Once we figured out how to find the scallops, we realized that they were thick. The trick was to swim down in the grass and feel for them in the grass and especially on the bottom. We got a bunch that way.....I even picked three in a row up with my feet out of one spot! :lol:

We loaded the boat with them, but I'd say that 10 percent were caught by seeing them first. I kept thinking I might run into a wayward gator or ray in the grass but finding those scallops made the risk worth it :lick:

One week left and a front coming through.....this season may be in the books.
Charlie P
Site Sponsor

Re: Scallop Report 9/16/12

Post by Charlie P »

Great report! :thumbup:
bman

Post by bman »

You need to tell them you wear a size 14 shoe... there could be 30 scallops under your feet.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
AshlieKC

Post by AshlieKC »

Careful in that grass....dont wanna put your hand on one of the many toadfish and puffers Ive seen out there! :cry:
Good to know they are still Thick!
Hopefully next year will be just as plentiful as this year! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Just take me fishing ;-)
steve777

Post by steve777 »

Hello everyone. Im new to this site. We are going scalloping this weekend out of Crystal River and i was wondering if anyone had any advice. Are the scallops still there? and where are the best spots to try?

thanks
steve
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Steve777, Crystal River is a little out of our range for the Big bend. That being said, I have heard that the Gomez Rocks and Rock Island channel area are good places to start.
steve777

Post by steve777 »

yea i realized that once i posted this here. i was looking at a bunch of forums and must have mixed them up. i appreciate your help though.
thanks