looking at a boat...

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

mbweimar

looking at a boat...

Post by mbweimar »

well as you all may or may not know, im still in the market for a boat. i came across this one on CL a couple months ago when the guy was asking 12k. he has it down to 10,500 but i still think thats a little high for a 4 year old boat, even with a newer motor. i was also thinking the 60 hp mercury might be a tad bit on the underpowered side, especially if i take a couple people out with me. what do you fellas think? all advice is welcome, as i dont have much experience buying boats.

http://macon.craigslist.org/boa/3262332300.html
CaptReelThyme

Re: looking at a boat...

Post by CaptReelThyme »

10k...I'd keep looking... $8k I would start talking
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

I agree with you -- underpowered
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

if you don't think you'd be happy with it i wouldn't even consider it. you'll just end up back in the same "boat" you're in now
mbweimar

Post by mbweimar »

i think that boat will suit me just fine. im looking for something aluminum, center console, and something with good fuel efficiency. my main worry is that it would be underpowered and wanted to see if anyone had, or knows anyone that has a setup similar to this. im not trying to win any races, but would like something that can get out of the way of dangerous weather if need be.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I would think a 60 hp would push that boat very well. I've duck hunted on lake toho and kiss. And he had a similar boat with a 60 and it was plenty fast. I'd ask the seller about top end, but I betcha it will go as fast as you need. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

That's a lot of money for a four year old boat. Those aren't nearly as we'll made as a G3 or Xpress or one of the higher end aluminum boats. I would offer 7500 on it because there is no way in the world he will get 10k in this market. You can get a nice fiberglass center console with a Yamaha for that price.
Team Jolly Mon
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

That boat will do 35mph with you. 32 with you a net man and a boat bitch.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
redbelly7

Post by redbelly7 »

I'd say about 7500 too, but I'd look for a welded triton, G3 or Xpress as stated above.
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

KEEP LOOKING, THAT BOAT IS NOT WORTH A DIME OVER $6,000 IF IT IS IN PERFECT SHAPE, CHECK OUT THE COMPRESSION ON ALL CYLINDERS AND IF THEY ARE LESS THAN 130 POUNDS EACH, WALK AWAY AND DON'T LOOK BACK.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

I have basically the same set up, probably a little heavier with a tunnel SeaArk and a 90 HP four stroke -- 28 MPH cruise with two people. 34 MPH wide open, 60 HP is underpowered and thats why it is for sale
mbweimar

Post by mbweimar »

I talked to the guy about the boat back several weeks ago when he first posted it. Said he still owed 12k on it so thats what he needed to get. He also said it came "standard" with a 40hp and he had them upgrade to a 60, which I also didnt believe. He didnt seem to be very willing to take 9K when i offered it. he almost sounded offended.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

I just bought a Tracker 1860 from Boyd's Marine in Dothan, Al. on Saturday. The reason this boat has a 60 hp on it is because that is the top horsepower rating for the hull. The guys at Boyd's said the hp rating is low because there is not a lot of floatation foam in the hull, so it will not hold up a larger motor if it sinks. (Trust me, this could be important some day :-D ).

Mine is the stripped down, jon boat version, and I can tell you that the hull with no trailer, no motor, no console, costs $4,250.00 for a 2013 model.

Steve Stinson
President
NFGFC
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

One thing I forgot to mention above - the hull warranty on this boat is 5 yrs, so you are fresh out of warranty on the hull.
- Steve
One Keeper

Post by One Keeper »

Nice Rig, as far as the power I've got a 18/60 G-3 with a 75 yammy and with 2 people and gear it will run about 39-40 mph with the right water conditions. So it might be a little under powered but a nice rig nonetheless. :thumbup: