WTB-Pontoon Boat

Need to buy or sell something, post it here.(Only Sponsor Businesses Please)

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

groupertherapy
Site Sponsor

WTB-Pontoon Boat

Post by groupertherapy »

Have a very good friend in search of a pontoon. He wants to do the rivers and flats with his kids and grandkids. Please post or call me at 591-2471. Thanks, Bill Mickler
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Re: WTB-Pontoon Boat

Post by Jumptrout51 »

You need one yourself. You are too old to go fast and stay long without certain comforts.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Pontoons on the flats scare me. I have heard of too many scary situations when the seas turn rough.
Team Jolly Mon
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

25' Bayliner Deck - The "Mongoose"

For Sale: '92 model all fiberglass deckboat with a 175 hp Mercury. Motor rebuilt '07 at Renz Marine due to variation in one of the V6 cylinders ($3800) - LOW HOURS SINCE REBUILD . Mega boat rated for lots of people. Trailer is pontoon style galvanized with bunks, tandem axle trailer in fair condition.

• stainless steel prop,
• stainless steel bimini top w/ aftermarket canvas in 06,
• wired for speakers, radio and depth gauge,
• 39 gallon fuel tank,
• rear ladder,
• sink with 19 gallon fresh water holding tank (foot pump),
• dual bilge pumps,
• Perko Battery Selector Switch,
• lots of cupholders,
• a boatload of storage space below,

Certified by USCG for 13 passengers.
With aesthetic work it could be a fine vessel for family, scallop or party barge.
If interested, PM.
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
tallykenjsbetterhalf
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenjsbetterhalf »

I agree with Flint River Pirate in some respects. Pontoon boats don't handle like other boats in rough seas. They are great family boats if you keep the following in mind:

1. Keep an eye on the weather and don't get caught in rough seas. If seas start to build, start to head in.
2. Get the largest pontoons you can and be sure it's a tritoon. They handle much better when the seas start to build.
3. Get the largest engine that you can afford.
4. Get the longest length you can afford.

We started out with a 24' pontoon with 90hp and two toons. It handled ok out on the flats (not well at all as seas started to build). Moved up to a 27' tritoon with three 27" toons and a 250 mercury verado. Now our boat is very heavy (5500 lbs) which probably helps with some of its stability. It also has an underskin performance package and lifting strakes. This boat handles rougher water a million times better than our first pontoon could. Not nearly as affected by large wakes from big boats or pretty big seas for the flats. Now we're not stupid and we don't stay out or go out in rough weather. Not fun anyway. The boat handles absolutely fine in a light to moderate chop. We've had to head in in some pretty rough conditions on a couple of occassions and the boat performed amazingly. We've headed out of Shields with the river glass and by the time we got to the lighthouse, conditions were absolutely terrible. Just need to be smart about it and turn around and head back in if the seas are too much. Pontoons are great for kids and families to have fun, fish, etc. Deck boats also a good option, especially if you like extra creature comforts for your day out on the water. Just my two cents.
Last edited by tallykenjsbetterhalf on September 27th, 2012, 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tallykenjsbetterhalf
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenjsbetterhalf »

P.S.

We've been going out of St. Marks for about three years now and see many pontoon boats of all kinds out on the flats every weekend. No matter what you get, if you watch the weather and don't take chances you should be fine. I've lived here almost 24 years and can't remember hearing of a pontoon boat sinking or capsizing. They can submarine in rough seas, but again, haven't heard of any emergencies arising from that (not that it hasn't happened). Just need to recognize the kind of boat you're in and be smart.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

I rented one for the trip taking the Boy Scout troop scalloping. I was not pleased. Too slow and too wet!
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Depending on number of kids he's wanting to take out, might look at the Carolina Skiff Funchaser deck boat series. My family had one back in the 90s and it sure provided us with some good times and a bit more seaworthiness than a pontoon boat we had before the Funchaser.

http://www.carolinaskiff.com/Funchaser-about.html
deck_boat_cruise24.jpg
deck_boat_cruise24.jpg (55.56 KiB) Viewed 1759 times
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945