Plumbing Question

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Plumbing Question

Post by Scoop Sea »

Gents: I'm hoping one of you can help me work out a plumbing issue:

In one of my bathrooms, the shower handle (one piece, go left for hot, right for cold) will move left and right with no issues, however, now when I turn it all the way to the left, there is very little water pressure and hardly any hot water. However, when I turn it to the right there is plenty of pressure for the cold water. I have taken the handle apart the best I can and cannot figure out what has happened to cause this issue. If any of you have any suggestions on how to fix this, I would greatly appreciate it.

In advance, thanks.

Chris
"Be Careful Not To Confuse Motion With Progress."
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Re: Plumbing Question

Post by fishinfool »

It sounds like you have a "washerless" faucet. It probably just needs a new cartridge. Find the manufacturer's name and match it up at the hardware store.

An old plumber told me that there are only two things you need to know about plumbing, "Cold is on the right and doo doo flows downhill."
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

Hey Fishinfool, can you give me a little more insight to what a washerless faucet is? I am somewhat challenged in this area?

In advance, thanks
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

These valves can be adjusted by removing the handle and adjusting the white gear that regulates the hot and cold that comes out.. or what ff said
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

Hey Rodbow, I've done that and still no luck getting pressure on the hot water side, it's as if that valve isn't opening up for some reason. I dang sure cant get it figured out and it's truly frustating. I have the same set up in another bathroom and they both look identical, yet the one in the problem bathroom is not bringing hotwater with pressure.
rosco

Post by rosco »

Some Late model Faucets have a anti scald feature that wont allow a sudden rise in temp. This may be failing. Same repair as Fishinfool, New cartridge. With the water off you should have a large nut that holds every thing in place. remove the nut and the cartridge should pull out. (with control handle off)
Залив Апачи
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

Thanks guys, I watched a video on it and now understand what the cartridge is, looks like finding the same catridge will be the challenge.
MarkM

Post by MarkM »

Take a picture and send it to me. If it's a Moen or Delta I can help you. If not, I can't.
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

One other thing that can cause that is little pebbles from the water supply get stuck in the line at the valve, (Do you have a deep well?) I had that problem with mine and removed the valve, fushed out the debris, and it worked fine. Also, like someone else said, the anti-scald valve can get stuck.

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
MarkM

Post by MarkM »

The first thing you need to do is identify what brand faucet you have. If it's a name brand parts are readily available. If it's an off brand, Peerless, price pfister, parts may be a little harder to get. PM me, I'll be glad to help. That's what I do.
RiverRunner

Post by RiverRunner »

Could be calcium build up in the hot water line at the connection to the faucet. My dad just had that problem and had to go through the wall on the other side to fix, luckily it was a closet.
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

Its the cartridge. Remove, take to store to match. Replace. Done.
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

I replaced the cartridge. I headed to HD and got a new one, I had to guess that it was the right one as I didn't have much to go off other than the brand and that it was a single lever shower faucet. Dude at HD said, if you brought it to me, I could tell you which one it was. Sorry bro, if I brought it to you, I wouldn't have to ask which one it was. Seeing how I live in Crawfordville and didn't know how long I would have to have my water down (and my wife was home), I took a gamble and it paide off.

After replacing the cartridge, which was surprising easily and I didn't even need the puller I bought, I still had the same issue. I looked at the old cartridge and noted some "grit" in it and I suspected that I had some of the same stuff in my line. I then used an old piece of thin metal and worked around the water openings, put it back together and..... Same dang problem. I took the cartridge back out, went and turned the water to the house on and then worked around the water openings again. I let if flush a few minutes. Put it all back together and it worked.....

Thanks gents for the advice, etc.

Now if I could just get that "air in the system" sound to go away on that shower. I've tried all of the tricks you read about on line, but nothing has worked. That pales in comparison to having limited hot water flow.

Yall have a good weekend and thanks again.